We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six Questions About Food, Jellyfish, and North Shore Waters

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Six Questions About Food, Jellyfish, and North Shore Waters

My wife and I will be traveling to Oahu at the end of the month. We have a very active itinerary planned, but we have a few questions about a variety of topics. Any help/ recommendations that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

1. On our first and last days of the trip we will have to travel with our luggage in the trunk of the car. We have read many references to car break-ins. We'd like to minimize the risk of this happening by planning activities where parking might be more secure. Of the following locations, would you consider any especially risky? Street parking by Kapiolani Park, Meter parking by the Iolani Palace, Diamond Head hike parking, Hanauma Bay, Nu'uanu-Pali Lookout, Kualoa Regional Park

2. Do you know of a good place to purchase banana bread?

3. What is / are your favorite place(s) to get malasadas?

4. I know that box jellyfish can be a problem 7 to 12 days after a full moon on the south shores of the island. http://lookintohawaii.com/calendar.aspx has a calendar showing Tuesday, March 25th as the last watch day. In your experience, do the jellyfish remain a problem on beaches/ in coves on the days after the main “invasion.” Will care need to be taken to avoid them washed up afterward?

5. Several sources note April as a transition month from winter to summer in regard to North Shore wave behavior. I would like to snorkel in Shark’s Cove and swim in Waimea Bay. What is the probability that I will be able to do this safely at the end of March?

6. What is your favorite location for french fries (excluding national chains like McDonalds)? Local fast food would be especially welcome.

Thank you in advance for any insights you may share!

Mentioned in this post
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,661 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapiolani Park
Kapiolani Park
950 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,073 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa Regional Park
Kualoa Regional Park
343 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Bay
Waimea Bay
991 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,035 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Six Questions About Food, Jellyfish, and North Shore Waters

Diamond Head parking is $5. It includes admission for everyone in the car.

The box jellyfish calendars are fairly accurate. Most of the local TV stations will mention if any of the beaches are closed. Oahu is not that big. The jellyfish problem is mostly on the south shores of Oahu. Just drive to a different location.

Leonard's on Kapahulu Ave., for malasadas. They also have a couple of trucks including one in Waikele.

Where are you staying that you need to have luggage in your car? Oahu is not that big. Check your luggage early at your hotel if you are too early for your room. Leave your luggage at the hotel when you leave your hotel.

You will likely spend $10-$20 in parking meters/open lots for your entire trip (other than parking at your hotel).

April is a transition month. April will have some fairly flat surf on North Shore. April will also have some fairly large surf. Too difficult to predict now. The local TV stations news will have up to date info.

None of the places you mention are risky (though it happens) for car break-ins. Don't transfer anything to the trunk at any location. Don't hold things in the air at any destination & then try to hide items under the seat.

Most of the car break-ins on Oahu are when the thief watches someone transferring things to the trunk or can see someone hiding things under the seats or in an isolated area where there are only a couple of cars in a parking area..

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six Questions About Food, Jellyfish, and North Shore Waters

We liked the garlic fries from Big City Diner because it has lots of garlic.

Kau 'Aina has shoe string fries, while some people on Yelp liked them, they were not as crispy as I like and quite greasy IMO.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six Questions About Food, Jellyfish, and North Shore Waters

Of the places you list for parking with luggage, I have always thought that the stretch down by Kapiolani Park seems a little dodgy to me. Mostly because it is a quiet area, and I never see many people around (actually out by the cars) except for the many homeless living in the park. I would think of Iolani Palace and Diamond Head as relatively safe because of the high turnover of cars and heavy foot traffic. Kualoa Regional Park might be a little more isolated, but I think it's also easy to stay near your car there and keep an eye on it from the beach. Not sure how I feel about Hanauma Bay Parking, it could be a touristy "target" area for crooks I guess, but then again they have pretty high turnover and a lot attendant collecting $ at the gate. Obviously follow common sense and don't transfer anything to the trunk once you get to any of these parking lots, like Dusty says.

If you are in Kailua, try Agnes' Bakery for Malasadas as well. We only ever bought one banana bread in Hawaii, and that was from Foodland because it was on sale, and it was OK. I make it at home with my leftover bananas all the time, so I wasn't exactly expecting anything mind blowing. Although, at a North Shore Farmers market we had these fried banana leaf things filled with bananas that were a-maz-ing! I would highly recommend them, but don't know the correct name.

I defer to dusty on the jellyfish & surf conditions. Although you can always ask the guards at any lifeguarded beach if in doubt. We were near Sans Souci the day after a closing, and the lifeguard said there had just been a sting minutes before we approached him because somebody came in contact with the tentacles that were remaining, which happens. He said that was a big difference from 20+ stings the day before! I was still too nervous to swim there myself.

I honestly can't recall having french fries on Oahu once! OK, after minutes of brain racking, I do remember some sweet potato fries from Mahaloha Burger because I always try to pass those off as veggies when feeding my son. They were fine, but it's really hard to mess up sweet potato fries, IMO. I even tried googling it for you, and not much info out there. I recommend Maui Onion chips or some garlic seasoned endamame instead!

Mentioned in this post
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,661 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapiolani Park
Kapiolani Park
950 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa Regional Park
Kualoa Regional Park
343 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,073 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Foodland
Foodland
236 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Mahaloha Burger
Mahaloha Burger
248 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
4. Re: Six Questions About Food, Jellyfish, and North Shore Waters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:16