We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

This may sound like a silly question but this is our first trip to Hawaii on 8/12, and I was surprised to see so many seats already taken on the San Jose to HNL leg of our trip. Since the front seats are all gone, will I have better photo ops sitting over the wing or towards the back of the plane? I already asked a question about which side to sit on and the left side was the winner. Even though it's 4 l/2 months away, should I go ahead and book my flight since I'm losing sleep at night reading guidebooks and it will be something to scratch off my list?

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

If you sit over the wing, you wont see much. even the seats toward the back can be blocked by the wings somewhat since they are swept back. So I would suggest that you book somewhere towards the back, but not the last few rows, then keep checking to see if anything opens up towards the front.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

The front seats would be first class. Is that what you plan to book?

As long as you have a window seat where the wing doesn't block the view you can see out and take photos. The view down would be the same whether the window is in the front or the back.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

I don't think they mean first class. I think they mean the most forward seats in coach.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

Yep, just realized I answered their other question about 3rd -party booking fees. So $900 would not be first class.

OP, often the more forward seats of economy are economy plus (or similar) and have an extra fee for a bit more room. That might explain why they didn't show up as available for a regular seating option.

4/12 months isn't too far away to book.

If you put your vacation dates in your other thread, as some responders suggested, you will likely get help finding lower fares.

TA is very nice that way.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

Placebets-So once your reserve your seats, you can change them at a later date? If the economy plus seats don't get sold, does that mean they'll open up later on with no additional fee?

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

kcowley - I don't know what airline you are booked on, but I book on American and yes you can go on their website, see what seats are available and then change your seats if you see one you like better.

I don't know for sure about the "economy plus" seats if they are not sold. I am fortunate enough to have status on American that lets me book their extra leg room seats for no extra charge. I would assume that if the dont sell them all, that they offer them up at check in. I have not however been on a flight to Hawaii for quite some time that was not completely full.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. The flight over is just not what you are going to remember about your trip, so don't get stressed out about it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

Economy Plus ... You're flying United Airlines? There is no way they will give them to you cheap. And they generally book quickly.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

I'm flying Alaskan.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

The economy plus seats will be sold or given to frequent fliers

They don't open up for free except occasionally and rarely at the airport at the last minute and even then are more likely to go to a frequent flyer with status.

On delta's site you can see them and if they are available they just tell you to pay up. Not sure about Alaska but they may be taken.

Over the wing will be terrible so try to get further back well behind the wing.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,682 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to sit on plane with front seats already taken

Use Seat Guru to help you choose the seats.

http://www.seatguru.com/