We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

My husband and I will be coming to Oahu for the first time on Aug. 11th, staying 6 nights before flying to Kauai. I'm a big penny pincher and am wondering about the different attraction savings you can find at the booklets they have available in airports vs. buying a Happenings entertainment book, Groupons, Living Social, etc. I'd love some actual examples from the airport booklets and Happenings if you could. I'm mainly interested in savings on attractions, boat rides and other fun activities, not restaurants since we'll be renting a place with a kitchen. If the savings aren't significant enough from other sources, I'm planning on buying a 3-Day Go Oahu card through Costco although that will be a hassle since they only sell e-vouchers that you have to exchange for the actual card once you get to Oahu. Then there's no guarantee that the things that require reservations like the catamaran cruise isn't already sold out. Thanks for your help.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

What do YOU want to do in Hawaii? What sounds good to YOU? What have you read about that intrigues YOU? Start by listing what you want ... and then consider coupons.

Coupons are swell ... and they can also greatly deceive. So look before you leap. Just because something has a coupon doesn't mean it is any good, handy ... or even still in business! Anyone can buy advertising in the form of a coupon and say anything. A discount isn't a discount if it isn't what you want or like.

And not all coupons are the great deals they claim to be. Again, anyone can claim anything. And read the fine print.

The stuff at the airport ... the real valuable items are the maps and the restaurant guides. The maps that come with the rental cars have advertising with some coupons as well. The rental car maps themselves aren't so helpful.

I don't recommend the GO card or the Entertainment Book as they are simply advertising that YOU pay for.

I understand the need to save money ... and it can be a bit of a sport in and of itself ... but please be cautious. Don't go chasing after bargains that are not worth your time and effort. I does sound that you understand all this ... but we get too many posts from folks who plan their trip around their coupons.

If you have doubts about some activity or such, don't hesitate to ask us.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,509 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

I know here in Alaska, those coupon books can save a ton of $$, but I haven't found that true for Hawaii.

Generally, I have found that if you book directly online with the company is the best way to save $$. So research the activities you are wanting to do/see and then go online to see if they offer you a discount - most do. have fun! :)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

I wouldn't buy any discount books before you go. We used to and found our itinerary dictated by the contents of the book! The only reason to buy the entertainment book is if you're going to PCC as I think this voucher covers the cost of the book, then everything else is a bonus (but you can check on the exact value of the coupon on their website I think). Most of the food and watersports vouchers are available in the airport/street magazines too.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

You can read the magazines online including ads & coupons. The ads & coupons don't change much. While you can't print the coupons, at least you'll know what they will be when you pick up the magazines when you get there:

'This Week on Oahu'

hidili.com/thisWeekPublications/…

'Oahu Gold'

hidili.com/thisWeekPublications/…

'101 Things to do on Oahu'

oahupublications.com/magazine/…

By this time of the year, the cost of the Entertainment Book has been discounted because the coupons expire November 1. Around May, It gets as low as $15 including shipping. The PCC coupon alone is worth $40 or so.

One dinner will get you back your $15.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
69 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

Thank you for your posts

I am looking over the info here on Trip Advisor for our upcoming visit.

Your suggestions have been greatly appreciated.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

igre

Welcome to the Hawaii forums.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii and each of the islands you are thinking about visiting. You can also read them online.

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

If you are planning to visit Maui, order the free Air Maui map. It is really nice.

http://www.airmaui.com/FreeMap

They are nice to have with your planning.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

There are booklets at the airport, many hotels, and all along the streets of Waikiki,

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

I love all the tourist mags and grab them all while waiting for my bags when I am on vacation, but 90% of the attraction coupons are for discounts on tourist traps I'd never go to in the first place. But here is one more link to one of my favorites, they do the Oahu Drive Guide, which is great for the maps and Spotlight Hawaii.

http://www.honolulupublishing.com/

And this link from the Top Questions has links to all the tourist publications and then some.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29222-c86505/Oahu:Ha…

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,509 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

That is what I have always thought as well scottca . . . most coupons were for either places I wasn't interested in OR to places that don't seem to have the best reputation for the activity I want. I would rather book directly and save that way. :)

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get attraction discounts--airport coupons, etc.

I just bought the Happenings Book for $5.00 (I bought 2 for $10 with s&h so I'd have one for my local area as well). It expires 12/30/14. I was mainly interested in the 2 for 1 shaved ice, and shrimp truck discounts on the North Shore but found other eating places that have good reviews in the areas we'll be. You can also get 2 for 1 discounts at the Polynesian Cultural Center, etc. and it has a # of coupons on the website that you can print out.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 04:00