We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pillboxes hike with kids

california
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pillboxes hike with kids

Hello

I am traveling in June with my husband, 6 year old , and 3 year old. I realllllly would love to do pillbox hike. Some reviews I read the hike is very easy. Would it be possible to do with the kids? I also red there is a steep climb in the beginning. Is it something one parent can climb and then help get the kids up? It would be my dream to get this view ! Thanks in advance everyone!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

Have you researched this yet? This will get you started. Chuck.

www.yelp.com/biz/lanikai-pillboxes-kailua

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

It is steep, but I think the children could do I it. However, at the top is a knife-edge ridge that would make me fearful of taking young ones up there. The potential to slip, trip, or fall is too high for me. If you go, definitely go one one and hang on to them. The view is indeed spectacular.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,451 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

There are probably safer hikes to take with little ones. Consider botanical gardens, too. They tend to be empty, especially weekdays, and with safer paths. Give one a try: Ho'omoluhia BG or Lyon Arboretum are two I highly recommend.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

Depends on your kids. But I think it may be a bit difficult for the 3-year-old. It is a bit steep in the beginning -- there is even a rope on the side to help pull you up. I didn't need it going up but it was helpful when I was going down that path, especially as the dirt was bone dry and very slippery.

And, yes, there are steep dropoffs. I would think a hike like Diamondhead (guard rails) or Makapuu Lighthouse (where it's paved the entire way) may be safer for your kids.

california
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

I have been seeing a lot of people post pictures on Instagram with their kids up there which made me wonder how doable it is. I may have my husband go before us to test it out :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,757 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

I've seen kids as young as 3 on that hike. But they were fro Oahu & go on many different hikes. I would never take a 3 year old.

As others said, the ridge is really narrow in places.

I don't think there would be any problem with the steep slope at the beginning as there are ropes.

Try the Makapuu Lighthouse trail. When you get to the viewing area above the lighthouse, look back & up the hill. There are two or three bunkers up there. There are some switchbacks to make it easy to get up there.

You can stand atop the bunkers, but it is windy there. So hang on to the kids.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,757 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

msneedle mentioned that the Makapuu Lighthouse trail is paved.

The only part that isn't paved is the optional hike to the bunkers.

singapore siglap
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

Aloha guys. Would it be possible to catch the sunrise from here? I heard it's a gem. How difficult would scrambling around in the dark be? It would be my first time there. Mahalo.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,757 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

I've only done the Kaiwa Ridge hike, aka Lanikai Pillbox hike, during the day.

Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club does a moonlight hike once a year or so.

http://htmclub.org/

Some hiking friends of mine, not very experienced at the time, joined the HTMC for the moonlight hike. They really liked it. We had already done the hike during the day before they did it at night.

I also think it would be an awesome view at sunrise.

I don't think it will be difficult. There are ropes to help you get up the first slope to the ridge (only takes a few minutes). After that you are on the ridge with the hiking trail at the top.

The first pillbox (bunker) is about 15 minutes away. The second pillbox is another 15 minutes or so.

As I noted before, it is windy atop the ridge. No problem for adults.

Take some flashlights with you. They will help until dawn.

You will be able to see the sunrise from most anywhere on the ridge. There are a couple of spots that are better along the ridge. The best views will be from atop the bunkers.

singapore siglap
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pillboxes hike with kids

That's great news, Dusty. Will Google for more info about where to park and all that. 9 days to Oahu! So excited! Mahalo!