We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset

MA
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset

Where is a good place to have a few cocktails and see the sun set with my wonderful husband? Would love to be outside.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset

Place or time ...? Or both? Tell us again when you are traveling - and you'll be on Waikiki, yes?

Under the banyan tree at the Moana Surfrider. Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. House Without a Key at Halekulani.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset

A sunset catamaran cruise would be my first choice.

Although, I must agree with BLBL about the Moana Beach Bar under the banyan tree. That is probably where we end up spending most of our sunsets in Waikiki.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,185 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset

In the winter, you can see the sun set over the ocean from almost all locations in Waikiki.

In the summer, the sun sets over the Ewa Plain and you can't see the sun setting over the ocean from Waikiki. The sunsets will still be good though with the colors.

singapore siglap
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset

I apologize for the silly question and hitching a ride on this thread but can you also suggest the best places for a sunrise as well, please? I will be in Oahu in June and wouldn't mind driving out on at least one of the days to catch one.

I was told Kailua Bay is an option.

Are Ko Olina and Sunset Beach the best places for a Sunset?

Mahalo!

Edited: 27 April 2014, 02:25
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset

Waimanalo Beach Park, if it is open that early. We stay at Bellows AFB next door and I get up almost every morning to watch the sunrise. It's beyond beautiful.

singapore siglap
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset

Mahalo, Carol! We have narrowed down the sunrise hunts to Lanikai Beach and Waimanalo Beach! So excited!

Dusty, u mentioned that in the summer, the sun sets on the Ewa Plain? Does that mean we will not be getting a view of it on the water from anywhere on the island? We will be attempting to catch it at Ko Olina and either Waimea Bay or Sunset Beach in the North Shore on another day. What do you think of this idea?

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset

Sunset on Ewa Plains means you cannot see sunsetting over the water when in Waikiki or downtown Honolulu.

You can use this website to see where the sun rises and sets: input the days and location you are interested in.

suncalc.net/#/…50

singapore siglap
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset

That's great! Mahalo!

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset

Yung4fr-- On the chart it shows sunrise on Aug. 12th (our first morning in Oahu) from 10:11-10:13. That doesn't make sense.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset

The program is actually reflecting your local time. So if you are logged on a system in Utah which is 4 hours ahead of Hawaii, that means sunrise at 6:11 AM Hawaii time (which shows up on your screen as 10:11 AM in Utah).

I usually use this other website for sunrise and sunset times since it also gives me moon phases:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp