We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Hello,

My family of 4 (1 sr, 2 adults, 1 6-yo) will be arriving in Oahu via Princess Cruiseline on a Sunday, can someone please help me with the following:

1. Are taxis readily available where the cruise ships dock or should I make reservations in advance?

2. We're wanting to visit Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona. Do you have to follow a set tour program or can we walk around free-style? (I'm afraid our 6-yo might get restless.)

3. If we want to see Diamond Head and then hang out at Waikkiki Beach, should we have a taxi drop us off at Diamond Head and then walk down to Waikkiki .. or drop us off at Waikkiki and hike up to Diamond Head and back?

4. Where is the best spot for beaching at Waikkiki Beach (i.e., as few people as possible, calm/clean water, nice views, etc.) with easy access to decent eateries?

5. We're arriving/departing on a Sunday. I noticed both PCC & Hale Koa Luau are both closed on Sundays. Any recommendations of a good luau?

Thank you all in advance!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

<<1. Are taxis readily available where the cruise ships dock or should I make reservations in advance?>> There are taxis.

<<2. We're wanting to visit Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona. Do you have to follow a set tour program or can we walk around free-style?>> Yes and no. You are free to roam the National Park area. To get to Ford Island for the USS Missouri or the Pacific Aviation Museum, you need to take a shuttle. You may (I don't recall) have to get tickets for one or the other before getting on the shuttle. The Arizona Memorial - you should secure ticket/slots on line ... or arrive very early in the morning and stand in line for them. Or you can go to Pearl Harbor with a tour ... and they will have Arizona slots. The problem with tours is that they generally zip you in and out. If you are interested in a tour (and "a tour" means transportation and Arizona Memorial reservations) - we have provide you with some names. Understand that you could spend the entire day at Pearl Harbor.

<<3. If we want to see Diamond Head and then hang out at Waikkiki Beach, should we have a taxi drop us off at Diamond Head and then walk down to Waikkiki .. or drop us off at Waikkiki and hike up to Diamond Head and back?>> You could take a cab to Diamond Head and then take the bus to Waikiki if you want. Or pick up another cab to Waikiki. I would not walk it. It's possible, but doesn't sound like a wise choice for your group. If you want to hike Diamond Head - early morning is best.

You can "see" Diamond Head from all over the place! Pretty tough to miss.

(If you are thinking about a cab from Pearl Harbor to Diamond Head ... easily $60 or more.)

<<4. Where is the best spot for beaching at Waikkiki Beach (i.e., as few people as possible, calm/clean water, nice views, etc.) with easy access to decent eateries?>> Anywhere along the beach would be fine.

<<We're arriving/departing on a Sunday. I noticed both PCC & Hale Koa Luau are both closed on Sundays. Any recommendations of a good luau?>> How long will you be in port? What luau does your ship excursion recommend? If you are going to Maui ... I would go to a luau there. Give us a better idea of your timeframe on Oahu. You are trying to pack in too much.

Also - get a map of Oahu. It will help you with logistics greatly.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Map of Oahu…..since I know only little about Oahu, and we have an upcoming trip, what map do you like best, BLBL? I would love a link if you do have a favorite. Mahalo in advance!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

A link for a map? AAA has a great map of Hawaii and the individual Islands. Most car rental agencies have them, and there are maps at the airport. You don't really need a "favorite" because they all get the job done. Chuck.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

This article is a great resource for maps.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29222-c120226/Oahu:H…

Tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial are free. You can get them in advance, on line for a 1.50 per person processing fee. You need to be there an hour before your tour time to pick up your tickets. 35 out of 150 are available in advance, otherwise, you just show up and hopefully they will have some or you can go early in the morning and stand in line for them.

www.recreation.gov

To get out to the USS Arizona Memorial, you are first taken into a small movie theater to watch a movie about the history then you are taken out to the memorial on a small boat.

You need to get tickets for the Missouri while still at the visitor's center.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Mahalo for the maps link, Fishdiva!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Thank you all so very much!!! I agree we might be trying to cram too much into 1 day. I think we'll just visit Diamond Head and hang on the beach during the day and then catch a luau at night. Unfortunately, this is the only day we have that extends to the night allowing us to attend a luau; otherwise, I would prefer to attend 1 in Kauai or Maui. Thanks again!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Aloha MOGlobetrotter,

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! I highly recommend the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. It is well known to be the most authentically Hawaiian luau in the islands. Which means no fire dancer. :-) But it has a lot of history woven into the show, and the importance of hula in the Hawaiian culture. Lovely dancers, stunning location. If you decide on OLL, I would book it as far in advance as possible, as they block seating accordingly.

Feast at Lele, also on Maui, is also truly terrific and run by the same people as OLL. It is sit down service and a Polynesian luau, not just Hawaiian. Both are wonderful, and both should be booked as far out as possible. :-) Have fun planning!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

I hit up AAA for maps. Second choice is Barnes & Noble. Otherwise, Amazon.com.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Dear Southergirl - thank you so much for your suggestions!! Unfortunately, the only night we have docked is in Oahu .. definitely not my choice, but those are the cards we're dealt. So, we're going to make the best of it. But, the next time we're in Maui, we will definitely look into OLL!! Thanks again!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,278 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Day in Oahu via Cruise Ship

Globetrotter, have you checked out www.cruisecritic.com ? It's a fun resource for cruisers visiting the islands. Go to the "boards" for your specific cruise and you can "meet" folks on-line who will be cruising with you! If you join the "roll call" for your cruise you may well get to meet the officers, eat free food, and get free tours of the ship. Trust me, it's fun and educational.