We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North shore/Waikiki split?

NJ
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
North shore/Waikiki split?

Going to Oahu in mid-August for 7 nights. Thinking about a 3/4 nights split of turtle bay and royal hawaiian or halekulani. Does the above split seem about right or 2/5. We are leaving for BI and Maui next. Thanks.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

For me, that's too much moving, especially with your other island visitation plans. How many total nights do you have? I usually recommend one week per island or in the case of the Big Island a bit more. The reason is that you lose a half day with each move and transitioning to a new island, car and accommodations. Also, for your first leg, Oahu, just about the time you overcome jet lag from coming all the way from the east coast, it'll be time to move to your second location. For these reasons I stay put. Others don't. It really depends if you are wanting a relaxing, island vibe trip or a more "road trip" run and gun trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

Bimmer - if you want to split your stay - that's fine. It's up to you ... but take a look at what you want to do. If you want activities or sites in Honolulu ... spend more nights there. If you want to focus on the North and Windward Shores - more nights there.

Honestly - seven nights is great, but you won't see everything by a long shot. So be strategic.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

Depending on what you want to see and where it might be best to just stay in one place. We have been about 5 times and each time stayed in Waikiki as there more over there for us but we love hiring a car and driving over to the north shore and the windward coast exploring. Means we aren't packing up & moving but still get the ability to see both parts of the island.

NJ
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

Yes, packing and moving can be taxing. Still staying in different parts can give different perspectives. My original plan was to just spend 5 days in Waikiki before moving to the other islands. I was able to extend the trip by 2 more days and therefore considering a different location.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

O'ahu is not that big. That means you can base yourself in one nice place and still be within easy driving distance of other desireable places. I would recommend basing yourself in Waikiki and not wasting your short time switching hotels.

Either way you go, I do recommend you rent a car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,833 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

Who is traveling?

7. Re: North shore/Waikiki split?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:16