We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

Can electronic rental car keys get wet? What do people do with them while snorkeling? Are things like sandals, towels and snacks usually safe from theft if left on the beach?

Virginia
Level Contributor
676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

You can buy one of those underwater containers...found in outdoor gear stores/travel stores. They seal enough so you can put in small things like keys/cell phone, etc.

Towels, shoes, etc are usually fine on the beach.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

Purchase a waterproof pouch

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/waterproof-pouch

There are a ton of them out there.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
144 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

Our rental car came with an electronic smart unit built around the key. Unlike a toggle or fob key, this was could not be separated from the key itself. Along the key chain was a warning: 'Do not immerse in water: $140 replacement cost" We went to Poipu Beach, Tunnel Beach, Hanalei Bay and Ke'e Beach where I put all my valuables in the area below the trunk, and took my electronic key, and put it into a loksac, a heavy duty, water tight, triple sealed plastic pouch, widely available at dive shops, and at Amazon. I packed the loksac into my zippered rear swim trunk pocket, when I went into the ocean snorkeling . The electronic key stayed dry every time, even after hours of snorkeling in the ocean.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

I would highly recommend an Aquapac. I have used different ones for electronic car keys, regular phone, and iPhone for years and they have not failed me so long as I checked that there are no damages to the pac or dirt trapped in the seals.

Whatever you do don't use a cheapo water-proof hard-box from ABC. I have had multiple of them failed on me after using just a few times.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

I'm a big fan of Otterbox. We use the 2000 series and have never had a leak. They come in different sizes 1000-3000 with increasing sizes as the numbers go up.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

I did this and it didn't work. Bought an Otterbox. Put my electronic keys in it then went snorkeling. When I got to my car and tried the keys to unlock it, nothing..no beep or anything. Unlocked it with the actual key and then the alarm kept going off and the car wouldn't start, just a message saying car is locked. Had to call rental company who sent a tow truck with another car. Took 3 hrs for him to get there. He blew the key out with a compressor and then the car started, but he said the remote part of it wouldn't work, so I have to pay for the tow $275 and the key. Hopefully there won't be a charge for the replacement car. Not a fun experience! Wasted precious vacation time and I'll never trust a water proof box again!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,866 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

Rhonda - that is a real shame, I'm sorry it happened to you. I usually recommend one test whatever dry pack they purchase in a bathtub before travel, as accidents can happen. I do this each time I travel. Salt water is so corrosive, what worked last year may not the next. In fact, my snorkel mask failed after 6 years, too, but I had time to replace it because I test that in a tub at home before I travel, too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

I have to say we have all the little "dry bags" to hang around our necks...last trip we just put everything in the beach bag - phone, camera, keys.... lucky I guess as nothing got taken...I put the beach bag under the/between the beach chairs....we were there for 2 weeks and snorkeled everyday. I did carry my ID, money and credit card in my little dry box around my neck though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

we didnt have any problems on any of oahu's beaches. i pput rental keys in my sunglass case. saw some epople have water proof wallet necklaces with money and keys...

10. Re: What do you do with rental car keys while snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 06:16