We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in?

NJ
Level Contributor
567 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay in?

We have visited Oahu twice, Maui four times and the big Island once. Where we have stayed

Oahu - Hyatt Regency and Moana Surfrider

Maui -Grand Wailea and Four Seasons

Big Island- Hilton Waikaloa

We are thinking of returning early August 2015 and our children will be young adults, 20 and 18

What area of Oahu should we concentrate on staying in this time around. We will probably look for a two bedroom condo or a two bedroom suite as we need more room with the children now being adults

We haven't been back since 2010

Thank you

Edited: 06 April 2014, 22:30
Dallas
Level Contributor
22,674 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in?

What kind of activities are you looking for? If you don't give some more details including budget information then no one can really do anything to help you other than guess.

If you have been to Oahu twice already, I'm surprised that you don't know what area you want to stay in.

NJ
Level Contributor
567 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in?

To add out of the places we stayed I would have to say the Moana was out least favorite

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in?

Will you have a rental car? If yes, you can base yourselves in different nice places and still be within an easy drive of other nice places. - O'ahu isn't that big.

Since you have stayed twice in Waikiki, maybe you should look into basing in Kailua, the North Shore, or even Kahala for a change.

I strongly recommend renting a car. But if you decide against a car, stay in Waikiki.

Take a look at

vrbo.com

for condo rentals.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,610 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay in?

Happy -- What do you want to do on Oahu? What activities are you drawn to?

Understand that the vast majority of accommodations on Oahu are in the Waikiki area. If you want to stay on Waikiki - consider the Embassy Suites. Take a look at their options. Great location. There is only one set of condos on Waikiki Beach. Perhaps two guest rooms (interconnecting) at a hotel would be better? The Hyatt may work for you there, although I would recommend the Outrigger Reef instead. The Hyatt has a resort fee and an expensive parking fee - both taxed. It really adds up.

If you want to stay on another part of the Island - consider Turtle Bay. Focus on the North Shore and the Windward sides of the Island.

I only recommend rooms in the tower at the Moana Surfrider.

The Kahala Resort is another option - and they have a shuttle into Waikiki and the Ala Moana (shopping) Center.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,138 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay in?

I'm struggling with making a decision for our August trip, also with our two young adult kids. Properties that I'm considering: Embassy Suites (well regarded property, but 2 bedrooms were outside of my budget), Park Shore (I think this will be my ultimate choice - two separate rooms), Aston Waikiki Sunset (#2 on my list as it's a condo and has 2 bathrooms; downside is further from the beach), and Outrigger Regency (another condo, but I'm canceling this one; I think the issues outweigh the pluses and I believe it's close to some construction).

We want to be in Waikiki, but the north shore could be a great place to stay in August, too. You should look at vrbo or other vacation rental sites if you are interested in that. Good luck!

Edited: 06 April 2014, 22:57
NJ
Level Contributor
567 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay in?

Beach is important, we will have a car, as we have only stayed in Waikiki is the reason I am asking driving around and staying somewhere is different.

Thanks

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay in?

I love Waikiki and I love other parts of the island. Renting a home via VRBO has become popular all around the world. Many families love having the experience of renting a home and feeling like one of the locals for a period of time.

That being said, if I could pick anywhere to stay on Oahu I would pick Kailua. It is my favorite place and certainly my top 20 favorite places in the world.

There is controversy with renting a VRBO property in a community that basically makes it illegal to rent a home for a short stay. However, most of the city loves the money that fuels jobs for the locals.

Kailua is a beautiful place in paradise and one that you might want to consider.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay in?

"There is controversy with renting a VRBO property in a community that basically makes it illegal to rent a home for a short stay. However, most of the city loves the money that fuels jobs for the locals."

Nice but not the whole story, Epi...............first, you own and rent a house in Kailua (that I recall is not a legal vacation rental).

Second, the "money that fuels jobs" is not true, as its influx removes housing inventory opportunities for locals-whether it is a multimillion dollar property in Kailua or a condo in another neighborhood.

That removal in turn raises prices so that many locals work two or three jobs, just to pay rent. Alternatively, they cram 20 people into houses zoned for 6, or live far from work, which then increases the traffic.

The vacation rental vs resident need is a much more complex issue than your "It's all good, it's Paradise" claim.

9. Re: Which area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 06:16