We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

My husband and I are staying in Waikiki and have 10:30 am tickets to the Arizona. We will be leaving Waikiki around 8:30 to make sure we have enough time to pick up our tickets. We would like to visit the Missouri after our Arizona tour, but feel that we will probably want lunch in between. Is there anywhere near Pearl Harbor that is recommended for lunch? We are simple people looking for a simple bite, not a five star meal. Preferably, we would like somewhere we can sit and eat. If it has a nice view, that is always a big plus!

Also, we would like to spend the rest of our day after the Missouri exploring the North Shore. If we bring Snorkel gear from Waikiki, generally, would it be safe in the trunk of our rental car, or should we store it in a locker at Pearl Harbor? Would two sets of fins and masks fit in a locker?

Thanks to all in advance. Without these forums, I would be totally overwhelmed by this trip!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

There are a couple of snack bars in the Visitors Center and one area that sells hot dogs, soup and chili. There is also a restaurant next to the visitors center. Otherwise, you would have to drive for food. The parking lots at the visitors center are patrolled regularly by security. I wouldn't have a problem leaving snorkel gear in the trunk. Just watch your timing. It will still take you almost an hour to get up to the north shore from Pearl Harbor. Snorkeling is best done in the morning hours before the trade winds pick up!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

I really love the hot dogs at Pearl Harbor ... and I would not want to give up my parking space.

There aren't lockers at Pearl Harbor, per se. There are assigned areas (with numbers) on shelving. Area is secured by staff.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

There is a restaurant at the Pacific Aviation Museum. They do plate lunches, burgers, sandwiches, that type of thing, if you are looking for more than a hot dog.

pacificaviationmuseum.org/attractions/cafe.h…

You can get there via the shuttle bus that takes you to the Missouri. If you just want to eat you do not have to pay to visit the museum, and you can also visit the gift store without having to enter the museum, which is worth doing as it has some different items to the other gift stores.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

If you're stopping at the Pacific Aviation Museum for food, you might want to do the tour. They have 2 Hangers. One has aircraft in full size mock ups (including a reproduction of the great Battle of Niihau (the forgotten battle of WWII). The second hanger is full of aircraft (many helicopters) being restored. It's a wonderfully low key, self paced, walk around space. All in all a quick visit.

If you want to drive a little, about 10 minutes gets you to Nico's Pier 38, off of Nimitz Hwy. They have great seafood dishes (and local dishes) at very reasonable prices. My favorite is the Furikake Pan Seared Ahi.

california
Level Contributor
856 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

My kids think the hot dogs at the snack bar right near the gift shop at the Bowfin are the best hot dogs in the world. The last time we were on Oahu we needed a place for lunch before going to the airport. We ate at Schooners. It was right next to the Pearl Harbor attractions. Check it out, you might even be able to walk there. It was open air, looked out over all the boat slips. It was nice and food was okay. But, my kids would say hot dogs. And since I'm not the only one, they might have a point.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

Big City Diner

7. Re: Places to Eat Near Pearl Harbor / Items in Trunk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:17