We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accom help with toddler pls

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accom help with toddler pls

Hi,

We are planning to travel from Australia to Oahu late May this year for about 12 days with our 18mth old. He's very active, so needs room to play/run around etc.

We've been to Waikiki before pre-child. Thinking of staying at Turtle Bay for a few days & the rest of the time at Hilton Hawaiian Village or similar.

We would have liked some time on Maui too but thinking it's a bit too much travel with the little one?

We want some beach time, shopping, eating, zoo, aquarium & relaxing.

Considering we arrive in the morning after a long flight, should we stay in Waikiki first then head to TB later? The return flight also leaves about 9.30am so we'd have to be in Honolulu the night before then too.

Any other tips / advice you can send our way much appreciated :)

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

I feel like there have been a lot of threads lately about traveling with little ones. Sounds like you already have your accommodations pinned down though, and both TB and HHV are fine choices to me except that I prefer to have a condo with a full kitchen and more space whenever possible. Even if a standard hotel room has a mini fridge and microwave, for 12 nights having a dishwasher or at least a proper kitchen sink to wash bottles and sippy cups, etc. in becomes pretty important to me! I like to use a service like paradisebabyco.com pretty much anywhere I travel now to get a highchair, toys, wagon, etc. delivered to the room for the week. Sounds like your child might benefit from a few extra toys on hand due to his energy level, but if you are seriously considering switching accommodations midway through you would need to work out how you would handle delivery and return of the items, etc. I will point out though that all the activities you listed "beach time, shopping, eating, zoo, aquarium & relaxing" are actually right there in Waikiki, so really no need to move up to Turtle Bay, but you know that area and what you like there so I would never try to talk you out of it. I think you can do it in either order and still end up okay, but the 9:30 AM flight out and question of switching hotels for a second time makes me think a few nights first at TB and then a good full week in Waikiki might be better. We have actually done just 1 night in a separate hotel at the start of each of our last two trips due to varying flight rates and condo check-in dates, and that works out fine for me because we are usually still recovering that first night and don't feel the need to unpack or use a lot of stuff for the baby. Our traditional first day activity has become the zoo, and we became members for $40 so we can go back as many times as we want on one trip, or up to a year (pays for itself on that 2nd visit).

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

Thanks for your info! Yes have read a lot of other posts which convinced me Maui wasn't realistically doable in the timeframe. Hubby has always wanted to stay at TB so that's just to keep him happy. Was thinking of a condo but couldn't see anything that really appealed & had that holiday feel. Will have a look at your suggestions. HHV just seemed to be popular with young families. Embassy Suites were also suggested to me but HHV has more positive reviews. Thanks so much for your input :)

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

I agree with the condo. Do you go to sleep the same time your child goes to sleep? If not, is he a sound sleeper who will fall asleep even if you and your husband are up talking with the lights on? When we take long trips with kids, we get a condo, a private home or a hotel suite that has one or two bedrooms with doors that close. We got tired of trying to read in the bathroom with the light on while the kids fell asleep and we don't want to go to bed when they do and lie in the dark until we fall asleep.

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

Yes we definitely want at least 1 bedroom, preferably two.. a balcony would be great for us to hang out at night after he goes to bed (although worried about the safety aspect). Can anyone recommend a condo close to shopping, restaurants & beach? Struggling to find anything decent, which is why we resorted to HHV (& would look at suites there). Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

Check VRBO or Air BNB for condos in the Ilikai then, which is right next door to the HHV. We stay there in the Waikiki Marina Resort section, which is a timeshare property but often has rental availability, but they offer only roomy studios without a separate bedroom. Our child actually sleeps just fine in the same room, while we stay up especially after a long, active day on Oahu! There are lots of private condos there too though. Or on the HHV property I think you want the Grand Waikikian building, which is their timeshare section with full condos. One nice thing about the Ilikai is the pool temperature, which is almost bathwater warm and very good for toddlers. The pools at HHV are gorgeous but not heated. There are lots of other condo buildings in Waikiki too, but for your close to shopping and beach requirement I think the HHV/Ilikai area fits the bill.

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

Will check those out thanks! :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

How much is your nightly budget in Waikiki? We always have a 2 bedroom condo when we travel as a family - we have 8, 6 and 4yo's so we need a room separate for the two older ones then somewhere for the youngest to sleep then another place for us.

Embassy Suites are in an awesome position however they have no land, HHV I don't "love" their location but they have massive grounds to burn off your little one's energy. It would come down to being able to get a suite at HHV compared to Embassy Suites.

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

Well I was hoping to get something around $200-$250pn but after a bit of research it seems impossible unless we just get a studio/hotel room. Our little man is used to sleeping in his own room with peace & quiet so that won't really work. Guess we need to lower our standards or compromise..

Virginia
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

I think you can do better in a hotel room than you think. We would never feel the need for a condo for our family of 3, and our son is now 5, but we have travelled with him since he was young. We have always just made sure to have 2 beds in the room (when he was younger he slept in a travel crib, so second bed wasn't necessary). Even when he was a baby and was using bottles and such, the accomodations in a hotel room were fine for us.

I am not one that would really want a condo with a kitchen, etc, on a vacation, though. I just find hotel rooms to be more vacation-y. We tend to eat out for most of the meals or bring small things in the room that can fit in the fridge.

As for the sleeping, we are used to separate room for our son as well, but on vacation we all do fine sharing the room, and I think he actually likes it/feels more comfortable sharing a room then as being in a new place, it feels weird for them sometimes to be left in a room by themselves when they are younger.

10. Re: Accom help with toddler pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:16