We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Hi,

My wife and I arrive in Honolulu for 4 nights on the 10th of May before heading on to Maui for a further 5 nights following this. We are travelling from New Zealand.

We are looking at a number of activities (on both islands), such as parasailing, helicopter tour, sunset dinner cruise, luau and show, scuba diving, and so on.

I am wondering whether it is better to pre-book and pay for each of these things (which I am happy to do), or if there are discount operators who, once we arrive, can offer better deals on the same things.

I've just heard that it may pay to wait until we arrive, but at the same time, I don't want to risk missing out on any of these things either.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

When it's something I really want to do, I book ahead. I haven't really found a huge discount after I've booked. Usually when you book with the vendor you get their best deal. You could always ask if there are coupons for a certain activity. Also with so little time, you might want to book ahead so you don't waste any of you precious time trying to plan your activities once you get there.

Have fun

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Many activities do fill up. Go ahead and book the things you really want to, do like your luau. If you have anything in the "maybe" column you may be able to book on island since May is a slower month.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,064 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

If you are interested in Peal Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial, you should definitley book that ahead of time.

As far as a dinner cruise, most people on here do not recommend those. Especially if you are attending a luau as well. Most suggest the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui as the best, and I would book that ahead.

Instead of a dinner cruise, take a sunset catamaran sail from Waikiki Beach and the a nice dinner at one of the many good restaurants in Waikikik. No need to book the catmaran until you get there and then go to the boat and get your name on the list for the sunset sail.

Also, reserve a rental car ahead of time.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Anything that is a "must do" book in advance. Better to have it booked then try to book last minute and not get a slot. Most things you mention are things hundreds of others will be doing also even if it is so called "off season"!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Book ahead? YES on all you mentioned. Do you want a sunset dinner cruise or a sunset dinner catamaran sail? The dinner cruises get lukewarm to unhappy comments on these Forums. A sunset SAIL on Maui ... you would love.

You need to be aware that discounters often have strings attached. I would avoid them like the plague. There is also an issue of quality. If you book ahead - you can post questions on the Island's Forum and ask us. If you're dealing with an activity vendor - they simply want to make a sale.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

New England
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Also on the luau, seats are assigned as you book. So you would get better seats by booking before hand.

We scored awesome seats for the OLL we attended.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

Thank you all for your feedback. Very valuable. We'll be sure to book most activities during this week, and look perhaps for a sunset catamaran sail rather than a dinner cruise. Appreciate your comments.

8. Re: Pre-Booking Activities or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16