We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

Hello!

I'll be staying in Waikiki from May 21-May 26 and my sister and I are big reggae fans. We're aware that there are quite a few Hawaiian reggae artists, and were wondering if there are any particular places where we could catch a live band or a reggae dj. We will have a car for part of the trip as well so transportation isn't an issue.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

Jawaiian music is very popular in Hawaii and can be hear on many of the local stations there. I apologize that I do not have any rec's for hearing it live, though picking up the local papers, including the "touristy" ones usually contain lots of good info. I have no doubt some of the Oahu folks here will have some good recommendations for you! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

It's was kind of surprising to me when I first heard that it was big there. I'm originally from the Caribbean and have grown up with reggae, but it is so cool to learn about how other cultures have made it into their own distinct brand of music. Thanks so much for the suggestion southern girl, I'll be sure to do that.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

You will hear Jawaiian music every where! Lots of covers of Bob Marley tunes in the restaurants and bars. Southern is right about checking the local papers, available along Waikiki as well as on-line, for specific bands who are playing.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

Mike Love Google him you can also look at this website that records a lot of local Hawaiian artists.

www.hisessions.com

I think he plays with his band at the Mai Tai Bar at Ala Moana Center quite a bit.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,452 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

Aloha,

Check out the Mai Tai Bar at the Ala Moana Shopping center.

http://www.maitaibar.com/honolulu/about.php

Have a great time,

Aloha

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

There you go looks like Mike Love plays on Wednesdays.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

Thanks all! I love this community, everyone is super helpful. You're all making me even more excited for my trip!!!!

8. Re: Where to hear reggae in Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:15