We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

After arriving at HIN, we'll be heading to Manoa Falls to do the hike before driving to our rental in Kailua. About how long does the hike take to do? I'd then like to see at least some of the highlights of Lyon Arboretum. About how long would this take? Isn't it right by the falls trailhead? What would be the best/safest place to park, since we'll have all our luggage in our trunk? Will we want to stay in the same parking spot to visit the Lyon Arboretum or move our car?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,486 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

With luggage in your trunk, I recommend neither.

You will need to move your car, but it is no hassle, they are near one another (can't park at Lyon for Manoa, I do know that). The arboretum is pretty large. I would not do the two hikes at the same time because I'm not willing to do hit-and-run tourism on Hawaii. It's a great place to stop and smell the plumeria and slow down to island time.

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

I hiked Manoa with my 2 little girls (7 and 10 yrs old)...including the occasional stops where Daddy has to take a picture of the girls, I say 1/2 hour one way....then we stayed at the falls area for another 20 mins or so, and walked back.

I'm at home now in California, and it was just last week when I got back from hiking at Manoa Falls, and I still have my mosquito bites (not a lot, but I have some bites). I skipped buying the insect repellent from a local convenience store, and purchased a towellette repellent right at the store before we entered Manoa trail. Part of me regrets not buying the actual spray repellent. Oh well...you live and learn :-)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

You can park at Treetops Restaurant for both. There is a lot there that you pay $5.

Or you can walk back to your car at Treetops & go to Lyon Arboretum & park there. Or the reverse.

We used to be able to park at Lyon Arboretum & donate the $5 or so to them & walk to Manoa Falls from there. But several have said there are signs now that say you can't.

I would go to Lyon Arboretum, donate some $ there and ask if you can stay parking there & go to Manoa Falls.

It could be that people were trying to park for free, that they put up the signs.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

Thanks for the info. I'll pay the $5.00 at the restaurant which is supposed to have a manned lot. I'll feel our car is safer that way than just on the street somewhere. I called Lyon Arboretum and they said even with a donation, I can't park there and go to Manoa Falls.

5. Re: Where to park if visiting both Manoa Falls & Lyon Arboretum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16