We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Topic
Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Outrigger announced plans to begin redevelopment of the diamond head portion of the Outrigger Reef today.....

bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/morning_call/20…

Looks like a nice design,

But it will replace an old favorite of many on this forum, Shorebird ("OMG where will I get a cheap mai tai and some raw meat to barby") and a joint that has become a great place for local music since they opened it a few year back after their last major renovation.

At least the pool will be open to the ocean.

They forecast a 2017 approval and start.

Knowing Hawaii it will probably be longer for entitlements (they must get SMA approval, which means an EIS and public hearings).

And the economy may turn by then.

Sure some backside Trump owners won't be pleased at losing their view corridor.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 19:35
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Wow -- it seems like yesterday the Reef was skinned down to the bare bones ... and they want to do it again? I can't even imagine what the density of Waikiki will be like in 10 years.

(Thanks, Amberloo.)

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Thanks for posting that information. I have always felt like the Reef suffered somewhat from a lack of "open air" dining and beach view facilities include the pool. So now, this sounds like those situations will be improved.

Hate to see the Shore Bird go, as it was one of our favortie places to go for happy hour and we even enjoyed the open air grill. Can't wait to see what the new configuration is going to look like.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Can anyone say how long the Shore Bird has been in business? I know 1990 because that was our first time to Hawai'i and the Reef. I've had friends that's been in the military back in the 80's mention the Shorebird so it's had a pretty long life

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

According to this website, more than 30 years.

to-hawaii.com/oahu/…shorebirdrestaurant.php

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Their website says 33 years.....

But my guess is it hasn't been updated real recently.

I remember going there in like 1980-81 and it was already considered one of Waikiki's leading night spots.

Packed with young kids most every night as 18 year olds were allowed to drink in Hawaii back then.

They had killer "air guitar" contests (in the days before karaoke).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

makes me sad..we had our very low key and fun family wedding dinner at the Shorebird back in 1993

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,908 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

I hope they bring back something like the Shorebird, it was one of my first "cook your own steak" places. I think the Rusty Harpoon in Ka'anapali was my first if you don't count the Kaneohe Yacht Club Sunday steak cookout....

But it was inevitable that the Outrigger hotels on the beach would have to upgrade and change and not stay the bargains they have been.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

I also thought Outrigger Reef went through a total renovation. Evidently it wasn't total.

Quebec
Level Contributor
280 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

We stayed at the Reef for the first time this past winter, and loved that we could actually afford to be *on* the beach. The Shorebird was our favorite spot for lunch (and mai tais!), and also our first "cook your own steak" experience. Would be sad to see it go:-(

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goodbye Shorebird and Kani ka pila Grille....Someday

Another reason to make it back to Oahu soon. DH loves shorebird!