We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Aloha All!

Our plane is set to arrive at HNL next January at 5:40pm on a Wednesday. By the time we get our luggage, catch a shuttle for our rental car, do you think rush hour traffic will have mostly cleared out for our drive out to Aulani? Or should we kill a little bit of time before heading out? What do you Oahu folks think?

Mahalo in advance!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

It should have settled down by the time you land and get your luggage and car. The worst of it is over by 6:00-6:30pm!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Oh good, FishDiva!!! Mahalo for your prompt reply! And of course, we're just hoping our plane doesn't arrive any later than 5:40pm. :-) Very good to know most of the rush is over by 6:30pm.

After our week at Aulani, our inter island on Hawaiian Air will leave HNL for Maui at about 11:35, arriving on Maui at noon. I planned that time hoping it would allow me to get to the airport with plenty of time (after returning our car of course), but still be driving into Honolulu post morning rush. What do you think?

Thanks again for your kind assistance!!!

Edited: 05 May 2014, 01:53
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

How exciting, your trip will be here before you know it!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Aloha Hqsmumma! Thanks so much for sharing my excitement!! I'm in the single digits for the "months-to-go" countdown!! lOL!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

It should be smooth sailing from the Aulani to the airport at the time you stated, Southerngirl!! Good planning!!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Far better to be headed toward Aulani than Waikiki. If you're concerned, once you've landed, I think most of the network TV affiliates on Oahu have links to traffic maps. For example: http://www.kitv.com/traffic/oahu

If you want to see the best selection of , reasonably priced, beautiful leis in all of Hawaii, visit the stands across from the Interisland terminal: Instant cure for jet-lag.

If not upon arrival, you might want to allow time before your flight to Maui; we check-in, drop off luggage, then walk over.

oahumom.com/lei-stands-at-honolulu-airport/

hawaii.gov/hnl/customer-service/lei-greetings

Over time, we've learned a number of tricks to enhance our appreciation of Hawaii; one of the most valuable was "Never pass up an excuse to Dawdle".

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Mahalo again, FishDiva!

And thanks for the great link, BeachesMtns! Do you know me or something?? ;-) How did you know I am a big sucker for lei buying. I know they are given for special occasions, but for me, arriving in Hawaii every other year IS a very special occasion!!! And I cracked up when I read your "trick to enhance ……Hawaii", "Never pass up an excuse to dawdle!"!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Ain't that the TRUTH??? Thanks for the laugh!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

"It should have settled down by the time you land and get your luggage and car. The worst of it is over by 6:00-6:30pm!!"

I wouldn't count on the worst being over by 6:00-6:30.

I lived in Mililani & had to put up with rush hour traffic many times.

Most times the worst isn't over until 7pm.

But I wouldn't dawdle at the airport. It will likely only take an extra 15-20 minutes in rush hour than it would normally take. And you can use the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) left lane.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

Thanks for the input, Dusty! Much appreciated! I've only been to Oahu twice, first time on the Disney Wonder, and I didn't do any driving. Was on motor coach for the day. Second time, we arrived from Maui in the morning, so we were going opposite from traffic. And I think we flew back to Maui on a Thursday around noon, so we didn't hit traffic then either. I guess I'm just trying to keep ON avoidin' that traffic!!! LOL!! ( I get plenty here in Orlando. But at least we have alternate routes that we can choose!)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should We Dawdle After Arriving at HNL?

My advice to any visitors driving on Oahu is to try to avoid rush hour if you can, but no big deal if you get stuck in it for a day or two. Don't cut a North Shore tour (or similar) short to avoid rush hour.

I think that is sound advice for almost anywhere for a visitor.

I would absolutely hate rush hour traffic if I had to do it daily. But once or twice while visiting, no big deal.