We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Properties on Oahu

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Properties on Oahu

My husband I are planning our first Hawaiian vacation. We'll be using Hilton points, and are trying to decide between hotels for our 3 nights on Oahu.

It's between DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel and Hilton Waikiki Beach. Both cost the same amount of points. The Hilton Alana Waikiki seems to have slightly better reviews here on TripAdvisor, but it seems that all we can get without going crazy on points is a room with double beds. At the DoubleTree we can have a room with queen beds. Does anyone have any experience with either hotel to help sway our decision?

Long Beach
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

I was on a 6-month work project in Hawaii where we stayed at the Hilton Waikiki. It was then operated by Radisson. I have not been back since the property has switched to Hilton.

At that time, the hotel was clean and the people were friendly. Although it's not right on the beach and it's in a very accessible area. Easy walk to the beach and to the shops. That little blue A-frame building you see in pictures in the front of pictures, is a church. All the rooms were nice, even the ones with the mountain views have good views. The ocean facing rooms on top floors on the south end (? Diamond Head side) of the hotel, have AMAZING views. The cons of the hotel when I stay there was there is nothing special about it - the pool is just a pool, there is a BASIC bar that doubled as a starbucks counter in the morning, etc,)

I am currently planning a trip to Oahu too. We haven't booked yet, but most likely will book the Hilton Waikiki. Hilton Hawaii Village is MASSIVE. You get lost in it and it's on the far north side of Waikiki, not in the heart of things. I really don't like the location and I was talking to a travel agent friend this weekend and she said the same thing. Except by googling, I don't know where the Doubletree is, but it looks like it's in the same general area as the large hilton.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

Thanks, SBinLB! We went ahead and booked at Hilton Waikiki.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

If it matters iust be aware that you will not be on the beach. IMHO For a first trip over I would prefer being on one. But that's just me.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

The Hilton Waikiki would have been my recommendation. I'd request the highest room you can get, very nice views, a good pool area and a nice restaurant in Mac 24/7/

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

We had breakfast at the Hilton Waikiki this morning. Mac 247 was incredible and it is a great location! I'd stay there just for the pancakes!

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

Just returned from Oahuu where we stayed at the massive Hilton Village for 10 days. The best part of this complex is the pool various pool areas that were perfect fore our family (2 adults, 2 children). The lagoon tower which we stayed in was classified as 4.5 stars. Not sure if the American rating system is different to Australia but it was far from what I expected from a 4.5 star complex. We had plumbing problems for 2 days where we could not shower or use toilet. Our sofas were stained and dated. Carpet was worn and just the overall appearance feel was that of a 3.5 star hotel as classified in Australia. Beds were comfortable and air conditioner worked well although a little noisy. Village itself is not located on the best side of Waikiki with many homeless loitering in the lagoon area day and night. Beach area although pleasant is not as good as when you go further south into middle of waikiki beach. Wouldn't stay at this resort again.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 22:43
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

>>> The lagoon tower which we stayed in was classified as 4.5 stars<<<

Not sure whose rating that is, but there is nothing on the HHV property that is 4 1/2 stars. The Ali'i Tower is the best and it is a 4 star at best.

Virginia
Level Contributor
676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

I am just curious based on Tony's response and a review I read online about the Hilton if the homeless situation has become worse more recently in that area? I was there last September, and there were no obvious issues. It felt very much like a resort throughout, and the beach/lagoon areas did not seem to have any issues.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

Aloha Herky, I also was curious about Tony's response as I was at the lagoon a few weeks ago. I didn't notice one homeless person anywhere. Spent a couple of hours there. Seems like the issue is more of a concern down by the Diamond Head side near the zoo. However, in general, they keep to themselves.

I also feel the HHV beach is the best, very wide & not as crowded as the other beaches.

10. Re: Hilton Properties on Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16