We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

Day 1 & 2

Left Pittsburgh airport at 6 am and 11 flight hours later, arrived at HNL at 1 pm. Ah, I was told to smell as soon as I got off the plane! Beautiful palm trees, smell the breeze, I AM IN HAWAII !

My husband, me, my daughter and her husband.

Got the rental and we were starved so my son in law took us to Nicos where I had fried swordfish for the first time. DELICIOUS! loved it and the place. Then headed to Waikiki to check into the Outrigger Waikiki. We had a really nice partial ocean view room. sitting on the lanai, had a beautiful view! Nice hotel, but my daughter said she actually like the Outrigger Reef on the beach better. We did go there for breakfast one morning and it is a prettier lobby and stores area. She said the location of Outrigger Waikiki is better, but the beach and hotel of Reef is nicer in her opinion. I had to agree. But regardless, we got three nights from Orbitz at only $530 total, so I'm not complaining any!

Since we had such a long flight and everyone was tired, we just had a quiet evening, turned in early.

We had a Pearl Harbor/City tour in the morning from Royal Hawaiian Tour. It was well worth the money, especially at the price we got it $33/person. They picked us up right at the hotel and took us to Pearl Harbor first. We did not have alot of time for the museums (I knew this ahead of time) but just seeing it all was very moving. We even got to meet one of the survivors from that dreadful day. Amazing man. Then we drove around Honolulu. Our tour driver was very informative and gave alot of city information. We drove through Punchbowl cemetery and around different neighborhoods. My husband was so excited because he got to get out of the van and pose with King Kamehameha. He kept saying "book em Danno". Obviously he's a Hawaii 5-0 fan! We were returned back to our hotel around 1 pm.

Rob and I walked down to the Duke statue and stood on Waikiki beach! Never thought I'd ever get to do that!

That evening we ate at Dukes restaurant in our hotel. My husband got the steak and it was garnished with an orchid. I asked the waitress if that was for decoration only or if you could eat it, she said both. She said many people eat the orchids, but she never has. Well, my husband had to eat it! he said it tasted like any greens salad, not much flavor. But this became a really big joke for us later. You'll have to follow my trip report to Maui, day 3 to get the full humor.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

Awesome, first two days, PASue!!! Sounds like a WONDERFUL start to your long awaited vacation!! Can't wait to hear more over on Maui TA! :-)

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

Aloha,

Mahalo for your report.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

It was a wonderful trip

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

SO happy for you, PA Sue! Anticipation is half the fun, but remembering moments, sights, and smells, looking at your photos afterward…….keep that special trip near and dear to the heart, yes? :-)

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

Great..I will be there in 16 days.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

yes, anticipation is great - Sweber - but memories are awesome

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

I'm so glad - but not surprised - at your reaction to beautiful Hawaii. I'll have to pop onto the Maui forum to see the rest of your report. Thanks for sharing your excitement!

8. Re: My first trip to Hawaii - everything I imagined and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:16