We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

Planning our (husband & 2 teen sons) 1st trip to Hawaii! None of the "boys" in my family had a luau on the list of things to do but I really feel we should attend something. My plan was to attend the free hula show on Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach but am now second guessing myself. Should I just book tickets at PCC or someplace similar? Thanks for any help with this you can give!

PS. Been really loving this site for working on our itinerary!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

The hula at Kuhio beach is no where near a substitute for a luau. Your teens would probably think it's lame. The only show they may be interested in is the evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center where there is fireknife dancing.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,804 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

About 50% of visitors to Hawaii ever attend a luau.

Without knowing your budget, it's hard to say if you should attend one. Totally up to you, your budget & other things you have plans for.

I agree with fishdiva that Polynesian Cultural Center has the best entertainment.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

You know your family , your time and budget constraints. A luau is not a defining event for a successful evacuation in Hawaii. I would not think twice about skipping the luau experience. I have a pretty lengthy list of things I would rather do. By way of disclosure, I am in the minority that does not care for the PCC experience, but my thoughts on the value of luaus are in general and not specifically the PCC.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

Thanks for the feedback. As for our budget, well, if it's something we feel we should do (culturally, historical, educational, etc) it doesn't matter. But, when I think of a cost of $400+ for a "show & meal" I'm still a little torn. I'm really the only one that thought it would be fun and that's just because of what I seen on them (luau's) from the movies. :)

One son is all into history and the other into the different foods he's seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! The husband will do whatever & I'd enjoy sitting on the beach for the week! We have the cottage rented in Punalu, car rental for the week we're there. We have plans for Pearl Harbor, day at Kualoa, hiking Diamond Head, probably take 2 days doing the driving tours with several stops along the way. Maybe a stop at the swapmeet & the army museum.

Maybe with us staying just south of the PCC we wing it. Would we be able to get tickets day of?

We get in on June 20th so only a couple more weeks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

>>>A luau is not a defining event for a successful evacuation in Hawaii<<<

I beg to differ, every successful evacuation I've had in Hawaii came with a luau :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

The son who is into history may well enjoy a visit to the Bishop Museum. It's truly special.

The other son, who is into different foods, may enjoy what is offered at the KCC farmers market. (There are other farmers markets too.)

Re the Army Museum Someone posted on here that it is closed through June (as I recall) for a major redo. Not sure when your visit will be. I believe it is closed on Sundays and Mondays when in normal operating mode.

As for the luau, I would definitely not consider it a requirement for a successful visit to the islands! BUT, the kids only get one half vote each, Dad gets one vote, and Mom gets two votes, right? That makes it a tie, correct?? - Maybe a little soft negotiating is needed here to break the tie!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

On a more serious note.... maybe one of the local DEs could check and see if the Hale Koa is indeed enforcing the rules more stringently or if the person who reported the issue got a one off person as to letting civilians attend the luau.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

I would don the free show and use the money for surfing lessons and outrigger canoe rides. There is also a nice show at the royal Hawaiian shopping center

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

As all the others have stated, the hula performance on Kuhio Beach is not equal to a luau. However, the Kuhio Beach is free and if you want to stake out a spot earlier around the stage area your sons could hit the beach and boogie board/surf/etc while you wait for the dancers. I'd recommend bringing something to sit on if you do go.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki’s Kuhio Beach Hula Show vs a Luau?

I really like the PCC. If you do the full packages you will get the afternoon of activities and the different villages. There are a variety of things to do and see, many which are for kids or teens and are quite fun. You can do a variety of packages so it does not need to be $400 but it certainly can be. There is 10% off if you book in advance. I don't know if it will sell out when you are there but it certainly could. I have been there when the show looks to be full. I was there in April and the show was not completely full.