We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

colorado springs, co
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

We are planning a first time family trip to Oahu March 2015. We have planned to stay 9 days in Waikiki at the Banyan and we will rent a car My boys will be 8 and 12. We are trying to plan days and the Polynesian Cultural Center seems like something we should do for the show, luau, etc. My husband is on the fence about spending the money here and because he's read mixed reviews. Is this something we will enjoy and think its worth it?

Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation, Macadamia Nut Farm, snorkeling, are on our list. The zoo and aquarium are possibilities.

Any other suggestions and should we do Polynesian Cultural Center?

Mentioned in this post
Polynesian Cultural Center
Polynesian Cultural...
7,328 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,832 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
146 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

We really like the PCC. I took kids when they were a bit younger and they loved it. I saw lots of kids this last time having a great time. I think for all you get it is a fair value for the price.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

You will get mixed advice on this one. Whether your kids will enjoy is questionable. It's very expensive for what you get IMO. We received free tickets with the luau included and left after two hours. It was a waste of time for us. Corny, canned and commercial was how we felt about it. YMMV.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Have you checked out the 4-day Go Oahu card at costco.com? The days can be spread over a 2-week period of time and they're $168.99 for adults and $139.99 for kids. It includes admission to several attractions your kids would like including everything at Pearl Harbor, the PCC, Sea Life Park, stand up paddle boarding, kayak rentals,a catamaran cruise, Kualoa Ranch activities, Dole Plantation train and maze, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,832 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sea Life Park Hawaii
Sea Life Park Hawaii
1,232 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
146 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa Ranch
Kualoa Ranch
390 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Surfing lessons need to go on the list. Don't let anyone talk you out of the dole maze, it will be the kids highlight. If money is an issue, I would go with dad. it is just wonderful staying by the beach, no need to spend a lot of money.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Your kids are at a good age to enjoy it. The more you expose children to, the broader their world becomes, which can never hurt.

san diego
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Go to Chief's Luau (Sea Life Park) instead of PCC... However, you are in Hawaii. Enjoy the culture and customs.YOLO (You Only Live Once (earth)). Money should not be an issue when it comes to life time memories... Tell your hubby to let his B@#@s drop and have fun :) :) :)

Mentioned in this post
Sea Life Park Hawaii
Sea Life Park Hawaii
1,232 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
san diego
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Another tip to save money and get the PCC included is to get the Go Oahu Card, which has over 33 attractions to visit. You have 14 days to use the card.

smartdestinations.com/oahu-attractions-and-t…

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,926 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

The value of the mac nut farm is questionable, except they have lots of free samples. Things in their shop are rather expensive. Depending on your kids' temperaments you might think about the Bishop Museum and/or Iolani Palace, the only royal palace in the US. Also, a Kualoa Ranch tour might be fun. http://www.kualoa.com/

Mentioned in this post
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,661 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,387 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa Ranch
Kualoa Ranch
390 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Every kid I have taken to the Polynesian Cultural Center has been around that same age and they had a blast. It's so different than taking them to the cheesy commercial luau. The evening show is the best Hawaiian entertainment you will find in the state. I highly recommend going.

As far as the macadamia farm and Dole plantation they are nice drop by places but not somewhere I would make a special trip for.

Mentioned in this post
Polynesian Cultural Center
Polynesian Cultural...
7,328 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,832 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Polynesian Cultural Center should we go?

Dh and I thought the PCC was cheesy, the kids, then aged 11 and 9 thought it was awesome and still speak about it as one of the highlights of the trip and we are glad we took them. We did one of the guided packages which, if you are going to go, you may as well do, you don't get nearly the same experience doing it by yourself. I suspect that unless you happen to have really "worldly" kids, they will have a ball. Its a full on day and the younger was asleep in the car on the way home but, while I have no desire to ever go there again (we are going there without kids for dhs 50th later on this year), for any kids in the primary school age bracket, I think it's a terrific expereince. Our guide happened to be a New Zealander too so for us Aussies, he's practically our neighbour LOL