We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on top 10 things to see and do

Iowa
14 posts
Save Topic
Advice on top 10 things to see and do

We have a group of 6 women (age 55-60), active and young at heart, planning a trip to Hawaii in March 2015 and need ideas on what to see and do and what not to miss. Length of stay will be 10-14 days and wondering if island hopping is the thing to do. We will be flying in to Honolulu 1st.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,397 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

I've got oodles for you to read! If you check out the green bar at the top of this page and click Things to Do, you will fill find so many great things, it could be weeks to get through! Have all of the ladies check it out and choose one thing each for some fun and variety.

Is anyone going to be the driver? A rental car will really enhance your visit, but if you prefer not to, look for some good tours.

An excellent book that will help you learn your way around Oahu is Oahu Revealed, by Andrew Doughty. It really helped me understand what was where so I could make a solid itinerary.

Happy planning!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

Here is a fun thread of things unique to Hawaii.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k641539…

I think an outrigger canoe ride would be a blast for the 6 of you, also a catamaran off the beach.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
279 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

Friday Night's Hilton Hawaiian Village does a free Fireworks show on the beach. I think the time is around 7:30is in the evenings. You will find almost everything else on the things to do. My favorites are Kualoa Ranch and Hanauma Bay. But there is are so many great options. Just don't forget to plan some R and R in there. Sometimes that gets forgotten.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

I wouldn't rent a car for your entire stay if you will only be on Waikiki. Of course, Pearl Harbor will probably be on the top of your list. If you are active then Diamond Head offers fantastic views. Relax on the beach. I have learned to spend at least a couple of hours on the beach every day on our trips. The Macadamia Nut Farm, North Shore, Dole Plantation, and Polynesian Cultural Center might be possibilities. There are many options to keep you as busy as you wish.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
56 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

If you ladies are foodies I would definitely say do the hole in wall food tour, hike up diamond head and if possible try to get a tour with ENOA tours. They took us to great spots including Hanauma bay. Enjoy enjoy and enjoy!!

Burlington, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

Do not miss Pearl Harbor. It's very moving. A visit to PCC is worth it.

oahu
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

1- Follow plumeria's advice and read as much as you can. You know your friends and will know what they are interested in and capable of.

2- The big difference maker is whether you will have a car or not. I would definitely NOT recommend your group trying to take the bus everywhere. If you aren't driving, then take some tours. As ChevyGirl says, use E'noa Tours. All the drivers are good, but ask to have Shannon-- he is the best.

3-A short outer island trip could be great, but read and see if it's worth it to you. A lot depends on if you like water, hiking, city, driving, relaxing etc etc-- different facets of the islands will draw you one way or the other.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

Aloha...I was born on Kauai and there's a few things I may suggest. Taking the inn-tube ride through the waterways in the forest is a lot of fun and worth it, zip-lining is fun, altho quite expensive, all the beaches on the island are beautiful and relaxing, a helicopter tour is fun, altho quite expensive, also, kayaking is fun. I hope this helps.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

As far as things to do, the others have covered that pretty well. Definitely do some research on your own and pick out a few things you think your group would like. In addition to Plumeria's ideas for your research, In the search box on the Oahu forum, if you type in "must do" or "must see" or "top ten things to do " or "top five" you will find lots of posts giving you ideas.

My must dos for Oahu are a circle island tour (check out the top question on driving tours to the right of the page), Pearl Harbor, and time at the different beaches around the island and in Waikiki (and surfing although I know that is not up everyone's alley and may not be well suited for your group... But it is on my personal must do list for Oahu... It is fun to watch the surfers, even if you don't participate).

As far as "Length of stay will be 10-14 days and wondering if island hopping is the thing to do. "

What do you mean by island hopping? Do you mean day trips to another island (which I wouldn't recommend), or do you mean splitting your trip between two islands? With 10-14 days (how many nights?), you could definitely see two islands if you wanted to. We usually recommend about a week per island (5 nights as a minimum for the smaller islands of Kauai, Oahu, and Maui and 7 nights minimum for the Big Island). You will need a car on any island other than Oahu. I would also recommend one for Oahu to get out and see the island outside of Waikiki/ Honolulu.

NJ
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on top 10 things to see and do

To really appreciate the island at your own pace, it is better to rent a car for the entire stay. We loved being outside of Waikiki and the flexibility of having our own transportation.