We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

Aloha everyone! While I have been to Oahu, I haven't ever been on that short of a trip. I have some friends who have a 7+ hr layover in Honolulu as they travel back from Fiji before heading home to Alaska and they have never been to Hawaii.

I think public transport would take too long - would you rent a car or just get a taxi?

Would you be able to squeeze in Pearl Harbor? Or would you just go to Waikiki and hang out? I told my friend I would come up with some ideas for him by the end of the day. They would love some good local food - and I think they mean by that fresh fish, etc. Mahalo for any suggestions that would make this workable and fun. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

Does the 7 hours include time for check in etc. for their next flight coalminer? Will they have luggage to contend with?

Taxi is the best way if time is short. They could go to the USS Arizona Memorial if they have advance tickets and show up an hour before that.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

Thanks for the quick reply fishdiva! I am sure their time will vary a bit, since they are flying international - and they aren't the type to push it too close to fly times. They only have carryon - no big bags or suitcases. It might be easier to just head to Waikiki . . . I have already told him to have a Hawaiian vacation, so maybe just seeing a little of Oahu will give them the desire to head back. Have a great day! :)

Edited: 30 July 2014, 20:06
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,946 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

Hey, Coalminer! Nice of you to help your friends ...

I guess the answers to two main questions are key:

1) how much time will they truly have? If they have to deal with customs - that will eat into their 7 hours. And they will need to be back at the airport 2 hours before their flight back to the Mainland.

2) what time of day will they be on Oahu? Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Wee hours?

I agree that given the tight time period, a taxi is the way to go ... if they are willing to pay for it.

Pearl Harbor - again it depends on the time of day ... and it would be a very short visit and perhaps tough to coordinate if they want to go out to the Arizona Memorial. Instead, I think they should taxi into Waikiki ... have a meal and stretch their legs before the flight home. Waikiki would give them the flexibility they need ... although ... and I love Waikiki ... it may not give them a true picture of the Islands in general.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

Thanks BLBL - I am presuming daytime, since he didn't mention middle of the night - otherwise, they would just be getting a hotel. And I am sure some of that time would vary because of whether flights were on time, etc. I just thought it would be good to have some options rather than just staying at the airport. You guys are great! :)

5. Re: Some quick help - 7 hrs layover in Honolulu. :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 07:15