We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas family reunion in Oahu

Bellevue, Washington
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas family reunion in Oahu

We are wanting to plan a large Christmas (2015) family reunion in Oahu (10 adults, 7 kids). We are hoping to find an affordable but nice rental home for 6-7 nights. What is a good area in Oahu to stay? We would like to be close to a calm beach with lots of soft sand. I'm thinking we would like to be close to Honolulu but not in the heart of all the hustle-bustle. The adults have all been to Hawaii previously as singles but this will be the first time with kids in tow.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas family reunion in Oahu

You will have to give us more information then that!! Budget is very important. Most of the vacation rental homes will be at least an half an hours drive from Honolulu unless you are on a luxury budget.

December is part of our "rainy season" so anything on the windward side or north shore will be subject to more rain than usual, with huge surf on the north shore.

Calm beaches in winter would be those facing the south, like Waikiki or even further from Honolulu, Ko Olina. East side look in Kailua, Lanikai, Punaluu and on up!!

You might want to consider some condo's also.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas family reunion in Oahu

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

17 people in one house? I guess it is possible, but I would opt for a few condos instead.

"Affordable" over Christmas is dicey ... and "affordable" means different things to different people. There are a lot of vacation rentals on the North Shore - but surf is massive in December ... surfing competition size! The Windward (east) shore is more appealing to me ... but if you want easy access to Honolulu ... well, Kailua is pretty straight-forward. How about Hawaii Kai, fishdiva?

Bellevue, Washington
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas family reunion in Oahu

We're budgeting about $1000-1200/night for our family's housing. I have been researching Kailua and Ko Olina areas. It seems like Ko Olina has mainly 2- and 3-bedroom condos. I have not looked at Hawaii Kai... I think we would like to have access to Honolulu but not necessarily in the city itself. I was hoping to have easy access to a quiet, calm beach for the kiddies. I appreciate any suggestions/thoughts. We will be celebrating my parents' 75th birthdays with 3 generations of the family, so wanted to plan something special.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas family reunion in Oahu

There isn't much in the Ko'Olina area! If you are trying to keep 17 people happy ... I would focus on someplace with more options.

Kailua sounds good!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas family reunion in Oahu

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k771139…

This is another thread that feels like a cousin to yours. Maybe some good ideas.

Make sure that you read down through the Oahu Forum - and we get similar questions about vacation rentals from time to time.

6. Re: Christmas family reunion in Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:17