We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International flight followed by inter island flight

Vic
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
International flight followed by inter island flight

Hello,

My wife and I are traveling to hawaii in late January 2015 and splitting our time between Oahu and maui. We plan to fly to maui first so will arrive on an international flight from Australia at 7am. Any thoughts on what time to book our flight from Oahu to maui? That is, how long after arrival should we allow. There are several flights/times so we are not short of options. Is 2 hours ok (9am flight to maui) or should we allow shorter/longer?

Kind regards

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

Is there no option to book a connection with the airline you're flying in on? What airline are you using? If not, i would *think* 2 hours is sufficient, but I'm sure other more experienced folks will chime in soon.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

Because you need to deplane, go through customs, etc ... and your next flight will begin to board about 1/2 hour before it takes off ... I would give myself a safe 2.5 to 3 hours.

Yes, you may have a little time to kill if all goes smoothly, but it's better than missing your flight to Maui.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

BLBL makes a good point as usual. Always better to err on the side of caution and have more time than you need, than have 30 seconds too little.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

We get this question a lot and the consensus is that 3 hrs. is sufficient for going through customs and getting the inter-island flight.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

SamRothstein - Australian airlines do not fly inter-island. I do not believe any of them codeshare with Hawaiian either, but I could be wrong on that one.

I think sometimes you can do a codeshare with Virgin Australia and Hawaiian however, Virgin Australia do not fly to HNL.

Paul7373 - I would leave a minimum of 3 hours but I always err on the side of caution. :)

The immigration hall is fairly peaceful at the time of day you are arriving. It isn't until 8:30 or so that things begin to get chaotic and lines stretch for an hour or more.

However, if your flight is delayed and you end up arriving in that chaos, you'll not get out of immigration for at least an hour.

Vic
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

Thanks for the responses everyone. Consensus seems to be 3 hours at least. Appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

7. Re: International flight followed by inter island flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:16