We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 posts
Save Topic
Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

After a stressful year for the both of us, my mother and I decided to take a last minute trip to Hawaii for our birthdays (both in October). We will be there from Oct 16-20. Having lived in Vegas the past 10 years, we tend to stay away from the touristy hot spots, and we are looking for more relaxing, scenic, and history/cultural based activities. I rented us a small place attached to a house via VRBO in Lanikai, and also rented a car. Given the time constraint (4 nights) and obvious distance from the center of it all, do you think it is possible to fulfill the the itinerary that I have listed below? Also, I would love suggestions and recommendations. This is our first time ever traveling outside of the US. Thanks so much everyone!

Arrive in Honolulu at 11:30 am on Thursday - renting car - checking into housing rental - relaxing by Lanikai Beach and Pillbox Hike

Friday - Ziplining at Climbworks 11am to 1pm - Dole Plantation - North Shore sight seeing (especially want to try the food trucks that my friends have been telling me about!)

Saturday - Pearl Harbor (not going through an agency tour) - USS Arizona Memorial - Hang out in downtown Honolulu for a little shopping/sightseeing and Food

Sunday - No plans yet

Monday - Leaving back to Las Vegas

I really want to try Dukes (heard amazing things) and need to plan on a Luau, any recommendations?

Thanks again!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Wince! Natasha, Hawaii IS in the US. Happened a few decades ago. Maybe you read about it??? (Smiling - people make this slip every now and then.)

Given your very short visit, I would recommend you not waste your time with a zipline or Dole.

Do you have reservations for the Arizona Memorial? You need them, unless you are willing to arrive very early in the AM for walkup tix. (Think 6:00-7:00AM)

Use part of your time to take a catamaran sail off Waikiki beach. - You'll be glad you did!!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Aloha,

Welcome to TA.

Oahu is a great choice for your first trip off the mainland.

For history and culture, I would suggest Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum. We have art museums as well.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Hahaha - thanks for the correction.*face palm* I really meant it in a way that we have never been outside of the connecting 48 states.

We wanted to go to the Dole plantation for their Dole whip, but I recently found out that a new place in Vegas opened up that makes an amazing dole whip, so maybe we will scratch that of the list.

Thanks for your reply!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,756 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Aloha,

You're forgiven!

Dole Whip is available in Waikiki, if you need a dose. The coffee shop at the Sheraton Waikiki has it.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Read this before going on the Lanikai Pill Box Hike. Still doable, just don't sit on top!! Make your reservations at Duke's at least 2 weeks ahead of time.

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/26136560/lanikai-pil…

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Since staying in Lanikai, maybe on Friday instead of ziplining you would like to try something like kayaking or renting bicycles in Kailua? I really like the Kailua/Lanikai area and would like to stay there one of these trips just to relax and enjoy it.

Wahiawa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Aloha! I second the idea of kayaking/exploring Kailua and Lanikai since you're staying on that side of the island. The Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace are also great suggestions for being kind-of touristy while learning about Hawaiian history and culture! For a nice treat try Island Snow near Kailua Beach Park:

www.yelp.com/biz/island-snow-hawaii-kailua-2…

My favorite is root beer with condensed milk (not at all Hawaiian, but delicious!) Another great place, but a little further from Lanikai is Aloha Salads!

http://alohasalads.com/about

And if you go to Duke's, they do have an outdoor patio/bar that is first come-first serve. It can be busy, but I've always managed to get a table with little effort. My absolute favorite ever is the Korean Steak Street Tacos-AMAZING! And their Hula Pie is terrific, but huge, so save room and plan to share! =) If you drive back to Lanikai from Waikiki, you could take the scenic route along Kalanianaole Highway. It winds past Koko Head, the ocean, scenic viewpoints by Halona Blowhole, the "From Here to Eternity" beach, Makapu'u Lighthouse, Sandy Beach, through Waimanalo and eventually into Kailua.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I am looking forward to trying out all your suggestions!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

Don't write off the Dole Plantation however, it you are looking for a quick bathroom break in your trek around the island. If you are passing by anyway, it would only take a few minutes to pull in and get your Dole Whip. That being said, I believe you can also get some in the Ala Moana Shopping center food court.

10. Re: Mother/Daughter first timers in Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2015, 07:42