We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood suggestions

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood suggestions

Hello,

Any suggestions where I can find grilled baby octopus or grilled baby squid (mediterranean style) in Oahu, preferably Honolulu.

Thank you much

Dan

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood suggestions

Bump. I'd love to know too!!

Anybody??

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood suggestions

I haven't been to this place but sounds like Taormina's squid alla siciliana would fit the bill.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,789 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood suggestions

Can't help you on "Mediterranean style", not sure what that might be, but your best bet for grilled baby octopus in Hawaii is going to be at the Asian, especially Japanese, restaurants. Look at Imanas Tei, Jinroku and Sushi Izakaya Gaku. You also might find it at 3660 on the Rise and Salt Kitchen.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood suggestions

AlandRoberta ... I thought you said "burp" instead of "bump." Gotta clean my computer glasses!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood suggestions

BLBL Well, there may be a "burp" or two in my future - commencing shortly after we land at HNL this Saturday. But I promise not to "bump" anybody as we navigate Kuhio Avenue (sidewalk) on our way back to the Banyan!! Hehe....................

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood suggestions

OK, not sure what makes the dish "Mediterranean Style".....

But the best grilled octopus ("tako" in Japanese and local dialect), by far, is served at the Yakiniku Korea House on Kapiolani Blvd., a block from the Convention Center, just outside of Waikiki.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/korea-house-honolulu

They have this incredible Octopus and Bulgogi (basically teriyaki beef) Korean-style nabe dish that is off the rails.

You grill it on a special device at the center of your table with the juices from the meats (tako and beef) flowing down into a cauldron with noodles and veggies. Fantastic dinner.

And they serve some of the most awesome "Banchan" (little appetizer side dishes) in town, including a raw chili crab that is pretty damn rare.

However, apart from the tako & bulgogi entrée the rest of the menu is only "good".

And, oh yeah, grilled/fried squid ("Ika") is common as a "pupu" (appetizer) everywhere.

Do you like it as a steak or cubed/cut up? Or raw/sashimi?

We can point you to a lot of joints with good squid/ika/calamari if you would like.

Edited: 04 September 2014, 04:24
New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood suggestions

Grilled octopus or squid "mediterranean style" generally refers to simply grilled with a bit of olive oil, lemon, herbs like thyme or oregano, perhaps some parsley and garlic. Octopus is usually boiled before grilled. Squid can be grilled straight.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood suggestions

"Grilled octopus or squid "mediterranean style" generally refers to simply grilled with a bit of olive oil, lemon, herbs like thyme or oregano, perhaps some parsley and garlic"

I don't think you will find many places that prepare it that way. I think most will have an Asian slant to to it because that is the dominant influence in Hawaii.

9. Re: Seafood suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:16