We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polynesian Culture Center

Knoxville
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Polynesian Culture Center

Will it take 5 full hours to get around and see everything - or can it be done in 3 hours? Will be 4 adults, no kids. I don't want to be terribly rushed but I don't want to be stuck in gift shops killing time while waiting for the luau, or being out for too long in the sun. The later pickup time at the hotel would be nice, but I don't want to run out of time before seeing everything.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

To see all of the villages you could do in the shorter times however to see all of the events and the canoe pageant you need a little more. The shows we enjoyed were in the Samoan, Tahiti, Tonga and Fiji. As for being out in the sun they had a cure think it was called Hawaiian Delight has pineapple, mango, papaya and cherries with sherbot and whipped cream. Low calorie and good for you too. We've made these for a couple of events at home now there a must. The luau is ok the food soso the opportunity to meet new friends was great. The evening show is one of the best I have seen.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,496 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

It is much better if you can spend the entire day.

I usually get there around 12:30 and don't leave until the end of 'Horizons' at 9:30.

All of the villages have multiple times for their show/demonstrations. Each is about 1/2 hour long. Samoa & Tongo villages are the best.

The canoe pageant (Rainbows of Paradise) is only once. That is at 2:30.

If you really do not have that much time, you can skip IMAX. The films are about 1 hour.

But, you really should get there before 2:30 for the canoe pageant.

"I don't want to be terribly rushed but I don't want to be stuck in gift shops killing time while waiting for the luau"

The Ali'i Luau is at 5pm so there won't be any wait before then as the villages are all open until about 5-6pm.

The wait is after the luau (gets over about 6:30) or the other buffet (also at 5pm, over at 6:30). 'Horizions' starts at 7:30.

There really isn't much else to do except the shops after the Ali'i Luau or the other buffet & 'Horizons'.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

There's tons of things to do. I found that I didn't have enough time even though I got there about 1pm.

One thing I found out is that you need to be pro-active. The people in the villages are there to show you how to : play games, make things you can keep, dance..etc. Just walk up to them and start "doing". I liked getting the different tattoos (temporary)

The luau was fun and entertaining. The food was average-good. (try everything) The coconut cake was one of the best cakes I've eaten (its the frosting/glaze that makes it) The coffee was excellent (and I'm a coffee fanatic)

One plus is that if you didn't get to see everything that you wanted, you can come back at no additional charge within the next 3 days. (check to make sure your ticket pkg applies) Don't forget that they are closed on Sunday.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

We went at noon and did a tour and we were not done until time for our Luau 6pm and then the Horizons show. Lots to see there. It took from noon to 6 to just go to each country.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

Great info, everyone - thanks. Just a couple of questions - did they serve coffee at the Ali'i Luau? I thought you could only get coffee if you did the buffet, and then by request only. This is an issue as we are all big coffee drinkers. We would rather do the Luau, but were going to opt for the buffet JUST so we could get coffee. Second question - do they give you something when you go in that tells the time of each show in the villages and a map to get around, or do you really need to buy the upscale package for the guide? I was thinking I would rather NOT have a guide, so I can move along at my own pace. And the IMAX is something I would skip, even if I have time to do it - I just think the villages would be more interesting.

wndy city
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

They did serve coffee with that package, back at the buffet tables when the desserts were out. It (the coffee) was not very good though.

I agree with the others that you should spend as much time as you can there, there is so much to see and do. We did not have a tour guide when we went, but at times caught up with a group and listened to their guide and learned a few interesting facts that we would not have otherwise known.

They will give you a map when you get there and it lists the showtimes. Ask them which villages have the "must-see" shows. They are really funny!

Enjoy.

7. Re: Polynesian Culture Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 19:18