We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Itinerary Advice Needed (2013)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
General Itinerary Advice Needed (2013)

Hi all,

I am in the process of planning my next big trip and will be traveling with my father. Recently, it came up that the best oranges he ever had were in Algeria when he was drove through there in the early 1970s and we started exploring a trip to North Africa from Morocco to Tunisia (for a start). I've traveled extensively in other areas of the world, but this would be my first time to the African continent. I'm pretty hardy when it comes to travel conditions and savvy enough to stay out of trouble.

My main concerns are logistics and what to see. I know that he would like to visit Oran and Algiers, and I would like to see the true desert. At this point, I am thinking that we will fly into Tunisia, visit there, then make our way to Algeria, make our way to Oran, and then take a boat to Spain (since the border is closed to Morocco), and then another boat to Morocco from Spain.

A couple of specific questions:

1) What options are available from Tunisia to Algeria?

2) What part of the desert is going to have that golden combination of remote/accessible/secure, and how to get there?

3) Travel between the cities: What sorts of buses are available and what is the bus system like? Is this appropriate for two clearly western tourists or is it advisable to look at other transportation options?

4) What's the price of a cup of mint tea?

5) Are there any areas known for orange groves, and if so what is the season for them like? At the moment, I'm thinking sometime between March and April next year.

I realize this is pretty broad, so if there are any clarification questions, please let me know and I will try and fill them in as much as possible. :) Thank you in advance!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Itinerary Advice Needed (2013)

Hi,

you can travel between Tunisia and Algeria either flying or take MiniTaxi. apparently since the revolution in Tunisia is not safe anymore to take the road, I haven't done the trip myself, if some people did und come across this thread maybe they can advice.

The InterCity Bus are OK, you should not expect the same standards as in Wester countries but they are safe for Tourists, between algiers and Oran i would take the Train is a lot better.

in Algiers and around there are a lot of things to do and see : Casbah, Notre dame d'afrique, museums, Botanic garden, Tipaza ruins.......

The price of a cup Tea !! in a café is 10 to 15 Dinars (10 to 15 Euro Cents), on the Beach 20 to 25 Da.

March/April will be the end season for Orange.

travelling with Boat from Oran to Almeria or Alicante then from their to Morocco, it seems a lot of hassle to me, is too bad that the Border are colosed, may be until next year they will reopen !

Good Luck

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: General Itinerary Advice Needed (2013)

I've been to Algeria a couple times, and planning on my third visit this September. When I was there in January to February this year, the oranges were so plentiful, you can find them everywhere even on the side of the roads. And your father was right, they're really good, and mind you this is something coming from someone who lives in Orlando Florida (where oranges are grown lol). When I was there last September, the watermelons were more in abundance.

I have the same itinerary as yours for my next trip this September except the Spain part. Planning on hitting Morocco and Tunisia too.

As far as I can remember, they have a reliable bus system in Algeria (at least the ones I've been on in Algiers). Going to Tunisia from what I read, you have to take a bus or train with connection in Annaba. Unless of course you are planning on taking the plane.

I stayed mostly in the Kabylie town of Tigzirt by the Meditteranean during my last two trips, however, I made several trips to Tizi Ouzou, Algiers, Bejaia and other Berber villages. I noticed there were several road blocks and check points everywhere with policemen and the drivers would stop briefly for security check but nothing too extreme. I am sure crossing the border between Algeria and Tunisia is a different story. I'll find out in September.

As far as tea, it's not very popular in Algeria, as it is in Morocco, I'm sure. However, Algerians love their cafe au lait and espresso:) Bon Voyage!

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Itinerary Advice Needed (2013)

I have flown a few times to Tunisia then had an Algerian friend drive me from there to Annaba. Last time was in 2009 when I had a problem with my visa resulting me in stopping in Tabarka (well known for jazz festivals)in Tunisia off season however in March I had my bag snatched but with a few loud screams and me chasing the rat some locals came to the rescue and bag was returned intact. Border checks between Tunisia and Algeria are a pain lots of hanging around.

As for things to do in Algeria try to visit hamam at Guelma and the Roman ruins at Tipaza.

Enjoy your trip since marrying an algerian I have been visiting family there since 1979 and never had trouble but i am usually based around Annaba or SKikda. Heading there for 2 weeks in September and hope to see a bit more of the country.

4. Re: General Itinerary Advice Needed (2013)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2013, 10:17