We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Algiers.

Madrid
6 posts
Save Topic
First time to Algiers.

Hello every body,

I read the topics in this forum, and it seems that it is safe to travel to Algiers.

I have some questions?

-Do I need to change some money at the airport?.

-Is it easy to find ATM cash machines?

-Does somebody know the Hydra hotel?

Thanks for the information.

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Algiers.

Hi There

When i went last year i was told i couldn't take the Dinar into Algeria so i took Sterling & changed it over there.

There aren't many ATM's around though, they are few & far between & it was 3 days before i could change my money! the only International ATM that i could find was in the capital city centre.

So, in answer to your questions im not sure what the best thing is :)

Lets hope someone else can advise you.

Caz

Madrid
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Algiers.

Thank you for your answer.

Could you tell me if you "had" to declare the cash you had with you?, also if you had to change at least 150 euro?

Abu Dhabi
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Algiers.

Hello,

You don't need to change money in the airport but you have to declare it.

But my recommendation is to change some at the airport to get by for a couple of days.

ATM's are becoming popular as more western banks are opening up( Soc Gen, BNP, and HSBC soon).

For the hotel I don't know, but I'm sure that someone will advice.

If you need more help just let me know.

Take care.

Yanis

Madrid
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Algiers.

Thank you for the information.

Do you have any link to some oficial page regarding the money declaration? I didn't see anybody declaring the money.

Does it mean , that you cannot take money back, if you didn't declare it?

UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Algiers.

Hi

When i went last year i took £700 Sterling with me & i wasn't aware that i had to declare what money i had with me, I wasn't asked anything about it in the UK or Algeria.

Im not sure what the procedure is for this to be honest but when i go next month i shall be doing the same thing again, take Sterling & see what happens!

What i do know though is that you cant take the Dinar out of Algeria, they told me that at the Airport, so what i had on me i gave to a child of an Algerian mother in the airport (approx £30)

Same thing happened to me when i was leaving Tunisia but they took the money off me there!

Caz

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Algiers.

Let me answer to your question.

Welcome to Algeria. Indeed, not many people declare the money at the Airport in order to sell it for a better price in the black market, it is not the safest and right thing to do, but if you are a foreigner, I would strongly recommend to declare them. If you don't declare them and they catch you with that sum in your pocket, they might confiscate them, so don't risk it.

Algeria is becoming safer and safer every day, therefore more and more tourists are coming for a visit.

Hydra Hotel is in Algiers heights, which is the other side of centre of Algiers. You can catch any taxi to take you there, everybody knows it.

Many buses go there too. I would recommend to catch a taxi of course, it is safer particularly for foreigners.

Exchanging money, I would recommend you do so in banks and at the Airport. Avoid black markets.

Hope I answered to your questions. If you need anything else. Please contact me through my website:

Hacene

http://www.berberosaharan.com

7. Re: First time to Algiers.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 04:18