We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Pack?

new york city
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What to Pack?

Hi i am going to Algeria for the first time at the end of the summer. Does anyone have suggestion on what to pack? I will be in the capital. How do young women dress here? Any tips would be welcome. Should I pack a scarf in case I go to a mosque?

What are gifts that I can bring people? What american brands are popular? Polo? Hilfiger? CK? any help would be appreciated.

Benidorm, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: What to Pack?

thank you soooo much for that! well i really want to go to be honest, iv heard sooo many nice things about algeria...i live in spain, benidorm at the moment and do nothing but work, so it would be a really nice break for me and him to go! I kno i sound young to get married, but i kno that we are set forever. i sound childish, but still! to be honest, my mam wouldnt be so worried about me going, she knows how we both feel, but its my dad and brothers, who are very protective of me!!!

where did you go in algeria? he is from the capital, biblouet, (if thats how u spell it!!!) are u sure you got by ok talkin and understanding?! thats pretty much all im worried about! lol...

reply soon and thanks alot hun xxx sarah xxx

Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What to Pack?

Hi Sarah

I stayed about 1 hour and a half from Algiers, not sure where your man comes from not heard of that, but my Fiance comes from the North of Algeria in the Kabyle Region, which is fantastic.

The country is lovely, the people are warmer than the weather and I loved my time there so so much, I cant wait to get back there, its such a shame the Algerian Govenment makes it difficult to get there!!

Have you looked into where you would be staying, visas etc, if not I would do that first. In the UK if you are visiting his family you will need a invite from his family before you can get a Visa or if not staying with his family you will need proof of where you are staying.

If you man comes from the South, there is more risk to you but otherwise its just like going on holiday anywhere, you always have to have your wits about you whereever you go!!

Look, if you want please mail me on my E-mail address and I can send you pics of Algiers and the country if you like and give you much more info if you need it.

Its kirstie49@hotmail.com

I will happily give you info

Kirstie

Benidorm, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: What to Pack?

iv just added you to my msn account! it´d be fab if you could send me some fotos etc...really helpful!!

biblouet is litrally the centre of the capital!!! so i bet itd be busy busy!!!

email me when you get a chance to please hun, sarah xx

Expat. in M.East
5 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: What to Pack?

I am from Zeralda, and live at present with my family in saudi arabia. I am so glad to hear all the feedback from those who visited Algeria.

chickpea,

you triggered a nice discussions and some kind of get together thru the net with all these nice people around the world with own testimony .

I had great times in my hometown, during my teen age years, and later.The beach is nice and so many other things too...

we hope to see Algeria progress further and develop its infrastructure to permit a better link between its different regions.it'll take a few years, though.

I am really glad you all enjoyed Algeria.Goa bless you all !

Cangoroo!

By the way , I was in Australia 3 weeks ago, visited Melbourne and Sidney. Climbed the Sidney bridge and attended Sidney opera. My stay was fantastic!

Mo.

Expat. in M.East
5 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: What to Pack?

I am from Zeralda, and live at present with my family in saudi arabia. I am so glad to hear all the feedback from those who visited Algeria.

chickpea,

you triggered a nice discussions and some kind of get together thru the net with all these nice people around the world with own testimony .

I had great times in my hometown, during my teen age years, and later.The beach is nice and so many other things too...

we hope to see Algeria progress further and develop its infrastructure to permit a better link between its different regions.it'll take a few years, though.

I am really glad you all enjoyed Algeria.God bless you all !

Cangoroo!

By the way , I was in Australia 3 weeks ago, visited Melbourne and Sidney. Climbed the Sidney bridge and attended Sidney opera. My stay was fantastic!

Mo.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What to Pack?

Hi....

I am also married to an Algerian Berber. I live in Las Vegas but did live in Cleveland with my husband. We met in Paris and got married there. I have been trying to find other berbers in the US but

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What to Pack?

Hi Chickpea3....

I am married to an algerian berber (since 2002). I have visted his family 2 times and can offer a little advice. The other person who has posted is correct....dress modestly but you can wear capris and tank tops (with some type of shear shirt over) What I wear in the US is very acceptable dress in Algeria......I have 2 sisters-in-laws..one is 31 and one is 23. The 23 year old is going to college and everything that I brought as gifts she wears with no problem. I worked at Kaufmanns department store at the time (now it is macys) so I got great deals. I did not have to take name brands for them to love what I brought however Nike is really big as is Adidas but less so.

The only thing that concerns me is bring alcohol as a gift. Make sure that the family openly drinks alcohol from your boyfriend before doing it.

I would live to hear about your experiences once you get back. I found the people very nice but I was able to speak with about 80% of the people because I lived in Paris for a year (that is where I met my husband) and therefore spoke French. If I can be honest, the biggest problem that I had was with the toilets....most of them are the type that is just a porcelin hole.....not dirty or unsanitary just difficult if your legs aren`t strong enough to squat: It took me a few days of taking off my pants just so that I would not pee on my pant legs...lol. I would also recommend always having a stash of tissues and small baggies in your purse in case you go to someone else`s home. The generally do not use toliet paper, they use water to wash after using the toliet. My husbands family would buy TP for me but I could not flush it and had to put it in a bag. Therefore, you might end up at some relatives house and no TP. And don`t flush it until you make sure the septic system can handle it.

I wish you well in your journeys!!!

28. Re: What to Pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:18