We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Experience for trip in the Desert

Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Your Experience for trip in the Desert

I would like to book for spending one night in May sleeping in the desert. I've looked through a number of sites but people talk about the great experience but don't know with who they dealt with. Preferably, we'd like to leave from Merzouga on camel for sunset and sleep to return in the morning on camel for sunrise. Entertainment at night would be great, showers would be even better. Tks for your help

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

As I mentioned earlier in my previous posts, Omar can be reached at omar@cameltrekking.com. I could not rate him any higher.

penna
Level Contributor
601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

in our last trip we used hamadsahara he was great i would deff recommend him.

penna
Level Contributor
601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

Hi we used hamadsahara last trip.

if you need details let me know.

we stayed at this lovely plave right next to the big dunes and also next to the lake that is there from the rain.

lovely pictures.

it had bathrooms in teh room with elec and hot water all night.

but it was a bit pricy I think 40 bucks for 2.

Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

Do they have a web site. Yes I would like more details. Thank you

5. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2007, 22:08
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

You can book those overnight trips through any of the hotels/bed and breakfasts in Merzouga. I've never heard of showers in the dunes unless it is a plastic bag filled with water. There are NO utilities in the middle of the dunes at all so whatever is used there has to be taken by camel or 4x4 out and back.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

We booked through Omar (cameltrekking) and were quite disappointed. Omar (or the guy who clamed to be him) spoke barely english in a very low voice so no-one except the guy at the front of the car could hear him. He didn't tell us anything about history of places visited, just stopped the car, said "Erzouga, we have lunch" or "take photos" and we were back in a car without knowing where we actually were.

The car ride wasn't the most comfortable one (and am not a whimp, as travelled all around the world in weird busses, trains etc..), as all of us were over 175 and the legroom wasn't enough. When it started raining, we stopped about 30min after the first drop - Omar decided that NOW would be the time to cover our backpacks on the roof of the car... (needles to say, EVERY 4x4 we met on our way to the tents had their roofs with the backpacks covered properly even when it was sunny). I wasn't very surprised when i took out my sleeping bag and clothes totally wet.

There was no SUNSET OVER DUNES, as Omar hurried us to the car. The sunset was a disappointment, too, we were late...

The camel "trek" lasted 35 minutes - going to one dune and back in about 17 minutes, they let us run around at least (and no, we weren't IN THE MIDDLE of the dunes, we were about 10min walk from the tents which were just a short drive from the normal road).

Our promised cous-cous lesson was basically watching berber women to peel vegetables and mix the cous cous and 2hrs later we ate it without even knowing what spices they used (again, lack of english/german..).

Another dunes trip turned to be a walk from the main road to the first dune with Omar's words "you have 10 minutes". I replied "fine, Arabic 10 minutes it is then" - he took it as a joke at least and laughed. We stayed 45 minutes... but there was still no proper desert experience as we could still see the road from everywhere...

On the way back, Omar decided to go somewhere and left us with a new driver: a young guy who didn't speak a word english and looked like he just got a driving license. After 2,5 hrs of driving, our young quiet driver decided he's tired and picked up randomly his friend... he himself climbed to the back of the car and pretended that everything is ok. The next 6 hrs the 2 girls at back were unable to move at all as it was impossible for with the 3rd person (it was only 2 seats!).

All in all, i would never pay 150 euros for trip like this again - if the 4 of us hired a car, it would cost much less (petrol is dirt cheap in morocco) but we would also have much more time in the actual desert and probably even more room for our legs.

penna
Level Contributor
601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

that was quite pricy

next time I would either use

sahara expeditions ( nice cheep "backpackers kinda tour")

hammadsahara ( local moroccan with good english and a lot of local knoledge, with a rental car and driver)

or

magrebi tours ( pre aranged tours run by american expats., mostly inclusive , more expensive , but very well run, and quite compleate)

the hard part is there are so many guides ready to "help" and most are just ready to overcharge and take my cash.

I also find a lot of the places that sell morocco

on the internet just add a mark up to an existing moroccan company that you can book once there cheeper.

best advice to to look who like whom and why , see what fits your thinking best and go with them.

England
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

We went through Kasbah Mohayut and had a great time. We had a hotel room so we could shower on our return, the desert camp was miles from anywhere - great food great experience!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your Experience for trip in the Desert

Kasbah Mohayut is a great place to stay in Merzouga. They are very helpful and understanding. You can book the overnight camel trek through them.

I've never quite understood why younger (less than 60) tourists would book a car and driver while in Morocco. Just rent your own car and go....you have such a better experience. As long as you don't get really way off the road there is little to worry about as far as the road conditions go.

I've heard good and bad stories from those who book and ride. But, unless you REALLY don't want to deal with driving yourself, I recommend that you rent a car and go on your own.