We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

look like a hippy?

Northern California
Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
look like a hippy?

As if I didn't have other concerns, can some one comment on this statement I found:

"For most tourists no visa is required to enter Morocco; all you need is a valid passport, unless you want to stay more than three months. Note that if you look like a hippy you may be refused entry even if you have funds, onward or return tickets and a visa. Tourists have to fill in a form for the immigration department on arrival."

My hair is to the middle of my back and I usually wear it in a pony tail. What would be the recommendation? Cut it for 'Locks of Love'

( http://www.locksoflove.org/ ) or put it under my hat or? I'll be having my 60th birthday while touring Morocco and are looking forward to it, would like to keep the hair however...

Mike

nyc
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: look like a hippy?

Keep your hair, you'll be fine- that's just silly. A few weeks ago we met up with some tourists that we travelled with and the guy had a bright orange mohawk. Besides being called cocku(for rooster) he was fine.

Northern California
Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: look like a hippy?

Thanks Laartista, Sometimes its tough to get a good reading on things when you read 'the official sites'...

Orange Mohawk, hmmmmmmmm...maybe not.... I've been called alot worse than a rooster..Ha..funny..

Mike

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: look like a hippy?

Sounds like info that may have been relevant decades ago, but not now. Though you will find for the most part that Moroccans are fairly conservative when it comes to their looks (piercings on men and long hair are still no-nos for the majority) the most that will happen is that you'll probably get stared at. But you are going to get stared at anyway, so keep your hair and have a great time!

4. Re: look like a hippy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 21:19