We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English books in Marrakech about Berbers

4 posts
English books in Marrakech about Berbers

I am coming to Marrakech because of research and I will need a lot of literature about Berbers, mostly before Islam. Are there any bookstores where I can get that kind of books but in English? It would be also good if anyone knows any university bookstore.

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

you wont find much in English - better to buy online

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

You could try googling for 'animist' which was one of the main religions of Berbers before the Arab invasion. Or google for 'berbers pre-islamic'.

It's not the sort of subject that Arabic speakers would be interested in (many would consider pre-Islamic not to be worthy of study), so you best chance would be to get books written in French.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berbers-Peoples-Africa-Michael-Brett/dp/0631207678/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511184282&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=berber+pre-islamic

3. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2017, 09:30

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

Well everyone is entitled to their own view, but I doubt the native Berbers would have agreed. LOL.

From various sources, "The region was CONQUERED by the Muslims in the early 8th century AD",

"During the seventh century the Arabs INVADED North Africa three times"

"The Muslim CONQUEST of the Maghreb continued the century of rapid Arab Early Muslim conquests following the death of Muhammad in 632 AD and into the Byzantine-controlled territories of Northern Africa."

"The first INVASION of North Africa, ordered by Abdallah ibn Sa'd, commenced in 647."

But the reality is that the majority of Morocco was never conquered by the Romans, Carthaginians, Phoenicians, or Arabs, for the mountains and the mountain tribes remained outside the 'bled el makhzen' (land of the treasury) and remained free until the time of the French 'protectorate'.

The mountain tribes kept some of their animist and Christian beliefs but generally converted to Islam however showed a true mask of Janus in acknowledging the Sultan as their spiritual leader, but not their ruler, a state of affairs which eventually led to the French intervention.

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
5. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

Hi. I'm pretty sure TripAdvisor is not he best place to post this kind of request. I suggest you try either 'expats in Marrakech' groups on facebook, or similar expat groups

Level Contributor
1,476 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

I have entered many book shops in Marrakech and found none in English.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 19:17
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

There are a few bookshops here selling English language books but not the subject the OP is looking for.

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: English books in Marrakech about Berbers

You would be well advised to buy your books before you leave home. Although I have quite a nice selection of obscure books about the Berbers, I have bought all of them online and none in Morocco.

Reply to: English books in Marrakech about Berbers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted