We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

I'm looking to summit Mount Toubkal mid December. I'm here December 14-18, and have booked one night in Marrakesh, then will leave for Imlil the next morning. The map we already have looks very basic, what maps are people using for the trek? Was planning on doing this without a guide, as we have some mountaineering experience but nothing as high as 4000, what is your advice on this?

10 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

Not sure if its the right time for climbing toubkal. As during that period expect snow on the mountains. So regarding map to climb toubkal check kasbah du toubkal there they can help you as you can see to hire a guide from imlil through them .

Edited: 22 November 2017, 14:15
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

Maps can be purchased from the reception desk of Hotel Ali on the edge of Djemaa el Fna in Marrakech.

With your limited experience I strongly suggest you engage a guide. You can ascend in the winter months but you may need crampons and ice axe, which can be rented in Imlil. Summit temperatures this week with wind chill of -8ºC.

Guides: http://imlil.org/toubkal-imlil/guides/

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

Climbing jebel toubkal with experience, i would take a good guide.

Climbing it when the weather is better is quite easy if you are reasonably fit and you dont really need a map as or guide as the route is easy to follow and there are markers showing the way.

Nkob, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

There are a number of maps available for Jebel Toubkal. Tim, of course, is right that maps can be purchased from reception at Hotel Ali. They normally have both the 1:100,000 and the 1:50,000 maps produced by the Division de la Cartographie. As you might expect, the 1:50,000 map holds considerably more detail.

Other maps, which I have never seen being sold in Morocco but which can easily be purchased before you leave home are a 1:50,000 French map published by Cordee and a 1:40,000 Spanish map published by Piolet. These are both quite good and probably clearer to read than the 1:50,000 Division de la Cartographie map.

I would urge you to take an official mountain guide. The route is certainly not clear when under snow and the weather in any case is likely to be rather challenging in December when local knowledge and expertise will be invaluable. Why take unnecessary risks?

Edited: 22 November 2017, 22:56
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

Scan of Toubkal area map: morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/map_toubkal.jpg

The trailhead villages of Imlil and Around (also spelt Armed and Aremt) are in the 3rd square down, 2nd from right. The refuges (shown on the map as Rge Neltner) are in the 4th square down, 2nd from right, Toubkal summit is in the 5th square down.

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

Sorry, to make my post clearer, do not attempt the climb in winter without an experienced guide.

In summer and either side it is not a hard hike (though the sun can be a killer)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,043 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

You don't need a map at all. There is an obvious, main trail up the valley, to the mountain huts.

For the summit, it will all depend on the snow / ice situation in that period (maybe someone could answer, is there snow or ice right now ?). It may be rather easy, or very difficult. Anyway, there is a trail, or a clear track on the snow, and you can just follow groups/people with guides.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

I would recommend oubkal Massif: Topographical Map (Atlas Mountains Morocco Map) (Map) by Andrew Wielochowski. The map makers spent many months in the region over several years mapping the morocco region with an eye for trekkers and climbers. It's available from Amazon http://amzn.to/2DW0MKr or from their own website where you can get the full series for Morocco. https://maps.ewpnet.com/atlasmaps.htm

Edited: 28 January 2018, 21:06
Nkob, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

The map which you recommend, Andy C, is on a scale of only 1:160,000 and surely cannot compete for clarity with the larger scale maps available for the Toubkal region which I list above.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?

Good question, I haven't seen those maps.

The first time I went with a friend using only a road map, local berber hospitality, the best anywhere, and guide book which would say things like "at the stone that looks like an eagle turn left" ... we navigated from N'knob to the valley of the roses through the antiatlas.

The second time to the summit of Toubkal with a school group we used the EWP map 1:160,000 and I left my copy with the guide who liked it, not that he needed it :)

For this next one I may look at getting both ... just to compare

Reply to: What maps are available for Mount Toubkal trek?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted