We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nearing our holiday time!!

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
nearing our holiday time!!

We are booked to stay 2 nights in Casablanca and 2 nights in Rabat: we want to visit Marrakech and then stay in a hotel/guest house somewhere near the Sahara for a 1 or 2 day excursion. We cannot work out which town would be the best located for such a trip-or how best to arrange this: can anyone advise please. We will be in Morocco for 10 days from July 16th. Thanks!!!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
759 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nearing our holiday time!!

If you want to see the larger Erg Chebbi dunes I suggest you stay in Merzouga. We stayed at Haven La Chance (http://www.desert-hotel.com/) for one night, and one night in the desert in a Berber tent. They can help you plan the camel trip into the desert. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there - definitely the highlight of our 8 days in Morocco. It is a long drive, so depending on where you fly in and out of, you may want to do the desert in between Rabat and Marakkech, if you are flying out of Marakkech. It is about a seven hour drive from Mezouga to Fez ( and Rabat is further) and about an 8.5 hour drive from Marakkech to Merzouga (we stayed overnight in Ouazarzate on our way there).

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nearing our holiday time!!

Why Rabat and Casablanca? Focus on Marrakech and the south and you will have a great time (or Fes and the north). Casablanca has NOTHING to see (in my opinion) except the Hassan II mosque which is interesting but probably not enough to incite me to go there for just that. I mean even the movie wasn't filmed in Casablanca!!

I live in Rabat and have for years but can't imagine coming all the way up here on a tourist trip "just to see" Rabat.

You will never forget a night camel ride and overnight sleep in the desert of Merzouga. Go south!

3. Re: nearing our holiday time!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 23:17