We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather question...

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Weather question...

I had a trip planned for Egypt and Morocco in August- now because of unforseen curcumstances I may reconsider this and go in early January. Call me strange, but I don't mind extreme heat and don't know if I will enjoy being there during the winter. What is a North African winter like? Is it dark and gloomy and is all plant life brown and dead looking like it is here? Are the cities and towns still bustling and busy or do they sort of calm down like towns do over here in winter? Finally, I've heard I'm crazy for wanting to go in August-- is it really that unbearable?

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather question...

August is pretty hot....a lot of people give Morocco a miss around this time....personally I don't mind it that much but that's just me.

Winters follow a mediterranean pattern, so cold and rainy is common, punctuated by enough days of sunshine to make it a pleasant winter destination. In the north the rains can make the countryside quite verdant.....its very similar to Andalucia. I´d say do it, as after the 10th of Jan or so is the low season, so fewer tourists....but you probably will feel the chill at night and get some rainy weather here and there. January nights even in the desert can be quite cold.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather question...

I like Morocco in the late winter. It can be quite cool depending on where you are but also very colorful and a lot less tourists. The heat doesn't bother me either. I haven't found Morocco unbearable even in August.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather question...

Thank you both for the tips. My plans have changed now and my mother will be accompaning me, I'm pretty sure we'll just go in January. I just didn't want to go to the contiinent of Africa for the first time and be cold!!

4. Re: Weather question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 09:19