We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code

Hi! We will be in Marrakech for 2 days, 2 days in/near Essaouira, and about 3 days driving around the mountain areas. Friends say I must wear a long skirt the entire time, which sounds absolutely horrible. I've found at least 50 websites on Morocco and nearly all have photos where I've seen women in shorts (and some men and women in tank tops). Will the locals consider me "trashy" to wear a nice long pleated short? Although I'll be hot, I can live without a tank top, however I'm trying wrap my head around the idea of a week in skirts. Can I wear lightweight baggy pants or zip-leg travel trousers? I don't want to offend anyone or appear as a rude American, and I will do what I have to do. Also, if I want to get in the ocean or in a swimming pool, do I have to wear pants and shirt? My swimwear is more like tanks and boy shorts, not thongs and strings. Any advice would be welcome.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code

We were in Morocco for 8 days in March. You definitely do NOT need to wear a long skirt all the time. My daughter (14 yo) and I mostly wore longer walking shorts (to the knee) or capris. I did have two skirts and will say if it is really hot skirts will keep you cooler, but certainly not a requirement. Long shorts, lightweight babby pants and zip-leg pants should all be perfect. We did try to wear short or cap sleeve shirts as opposed to tank tops.

We did not go to the beach or hang by a pool so can't answer definitely on those. I will say we say a lot of women dressed in Western dress, but they were always fully covered, i.e. long pants and long sleeve shirts, and most of them also had their heads (hair) covered. However, we never felt that people were commenting on how we dressed. The Moroccans were very gracious people and seemed delighted that Americans were visiting their country.

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code

Thanks for your help. I was afraid I'd be carrying way too much clothing for my trip.

3. Re: Dress Code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 01:16