We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

I am planning on visiting Spain this coming February.

I can't help but seeing Morocco on the map and being intrigued -- and wondering if I should take a day trip there. Of course, I'd love to -- but I'm worried about 1 thing: Safety.

I am 25, male, American --- im white as can be and have a short haircut that is often mistaken as a military haircut.

What do you guys think??

What town would be good for a day trip???

Do I need a special visa -- or would a passport be fine?

What are some good tips on what towns to avoid --- and how to make this happen

Thanks!!

1. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2007, 13:32
Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

You should definitely avoid self promoting guides as the above forum writer is doing

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

We are a family of 4 who were in Morocco last March for 8 days. While I admit I was a bit apprehensive before we left, we had no safety concerns once we got there. We found everyone to be most helpful and delighted we were there. If you are only thinking of doing a daytrip, I would skip it. The two most wonderful cities are Fez and Marakkech and neither would be doable as a daytrip from Spain. If you could do 2-3 days, then I would recommend you do one of those two cities. We were able to fly directly from Barcelona to Marakkech on Royal Air Maroc.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

I forgot to mention that you do not need a special visa - just your passport.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

Hi Danny, believe me, it's not a good idea to visit Morocco in one day, i suggest you to come again for at least one week, or if you really want to, try to visit Fes, it's a city inscribed at the Unesco patrimony. I know you are 25 yold and may be not interesting in such a specification like that. And if you really want to do a day trip, go from Tarifa to Tangier and spend a day there. But once again, i would not recommend such a trip ...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

The thing is -- im kind of nervous sleeping over there --- i'd be sleeping with one eye open

I might be able to swing 2 nights... what city is very "happening"... lots of people.... and maybe a fancy hotel to stay at (like a Ritz Carlton) with security guards, etc.??

Basicaly... i'd like to visit somewhere I can feel the Moroccan culture, visit some historical sites... ride a camel.... maybe nightlife (if it exists there)... and most of all be safe!!!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

as i think you are maniac about the safety, i would suggest you to stay in Boston, because Spain is as dangerous as Morocco ....

Once again, 1 or 2 days are not enough to have a real opinion about Morocco, so don't go ....

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

I have to agree with Phil. If you are going to be that worried about safety you should probably not go. If you really want to experience the culture you would want to stay in a riad rather than a 5* western hotel that you can experience anywhere. You don't have enough time to get out to the desert and ride a camel - although worth the experience if you have the time - definitely the highlight of our trip!

Again we are a typical American family who travelled with our kids ages 14 and 11 for 8 days in Morocco and never had any safety concerns. Definitely hope to go back someday!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

i love you family4 from Oregon, one of the most beautifull state in US ....and want to congratulate you about your trip in Morocco, because i really think that it is more difficult for you american people to organize a trip in such a country than for us european folks ...

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daytrip to Morocco -- Safety?

Thanks for the kind words Phil. I must admit when my husband first brought up the idea of Morocco, my immediate response was "are you crazy??" However, a friend of his had been there in March the same time we had been to London and Paris (freezing our tootsies off) and he was drawn by the fact his friend was talking about 70-80 degree (fahrenheit) weather. So, I started to do a little research and became very intrigued by the whole idea and fascinated by all the incredible things we would be seeing, particularly for the kids.

I will also say that realizing how many Europeans went made me feel at ease right away about going. Again, we found the people there to be extremely warm and kind, and really most appreciative that we Americans were visiting their country. While I certainly don't consider myself an expert on Morocco I have tried to help others on this board, particularly Americans to feel comfortable about going and provide any tips I can from our wonderful experience.

Yes, I must agree that Oregon is one of the most beautiful states. As much as we love to travel around the world we feel blessed to be able to come home to such a wonderful place.