We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Morocco? Been there?

Sofia
5 posts
Save Topic
Living in Morocco? Been there?

Hi,

I am thinking of moving out to Morocco for a few months. Can anyone help me get an idea what life is like in Marrakech or Casablanca? Or elsewhere?

Details of Expat communities / opportunities to meet English speakers would be great

thanks!

Simon...

Ota, Japan
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Morocco? Been there?

hi

may be you can't get what you want from the forum;

but in case it's urgent i gat an email adresse of someone there . but he is from ourzazat . may be he can help you to figur out what life look like in morocco .

i lived in merzouga and went to marackecg many times i know just about peopl ( life in the desert i mean towns of the desert) .

good luck simon

celina

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Morocco? Been there?

I'd say you should do some research on expat blogs...your question is too general to really be able to answer without writing a novel!

"The Caliph's House" by Tahir Shah is an entertaining read and about a British expat's experience of buying up a house and restoring it in Casablanca.

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Morocco? Been there?

Do not. It would appear that you are not very familiar with Morocco and obviously have not done your research. Morocco can be a great place to live, but, and it is a very big but you need a network of friends particularly Moroccans to be able to successfully live and enjoy the country and the culture. It takes time to build these type of relationships and in the meantime you will be at the mercy of every unscruptlious being. Believe me, there are very many honest kind Moroccans and Europeans, but there are just as many people looking to part you with your money.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Morocco? Been there?

Hi,

I do not know whether you are a writer, but moving to live in a country one has no previous ties might be challenging. Why not start from Marrakech, or any big city for that matter, and after gathering more information, move to live in a smaller town, where people are different, you can meet local people, make friends, thus getting in touch of the culture and habits of this beautiful country. I have lived there over a year, and it is necessary to have Moroccoan friends, as one always has to "know somebody". Their help will be very valuable, believe me. Marrakech is expensive city compared to smaller places, even the rent. Of course, there are other issues as well, such as visa, permission to rent a house, finance etc.

5. Re: Living in Morocco? Been there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2008, 14:51
6. Re: Living in Morocco? Been there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 12:25