We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fez

Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Fez

Hi again'''''

Do you think we would need a guide in Fez or just us 2 women ok on our own? Can anyone advise of a good hotel, close to alot of touristy things in Fez? Thinking we might spend 2 days in Fez with the 6 hr. train ride. Is it better to take train or hire a car?

If we hire a car, can anyone advise on a safe & reliable company?

Thank you so much for your help Tangergirl.

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fez

Hello overthehilltraveller,

Even though I never use guides personally, for your stay in Fez I would certainly recommend hiring a guide. Fez is so awe inspiring beautiful, it has one of the oldest, if not the oldest preserved medinas, which is so large that it would be very easy for you to get lost. The craftmanship alone is well worth going to see. Regarding hotels, a lot depends on budgets, but do remember like everything you get what you pay for.

If you decide to hire a car, make sure that you use one of the main companies.

Have a good time, you will certainly find Fez fascinating.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
419 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fez

We stayed at Dar Anebar in Fez. It was a great location within the medina very close to one of the main gates. We hired an official guide the first day. The second day we decided to get lost in the medina and enjoy the charm. Dar Anebar was easy to find because it is so close to one of the main gates. See my review

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293733-d645…

The owner Ahmed is such a great help and he can arrange a pick up at the train station. I recommend the train. Buy a first class ticket. It is worth the extra money for a more comfortable cabin and reserved seats.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fez

If it's your first time, hire a guide through your hotel. Make sure you specify if you want a "tourist sites" guide or a "shopping" guide. Or maybe a little of both.... There are some who will just take you from one shop to another and there are many who really do know the history of Fes and make it a fascinating tour.

Renting a car? It's not cheap in Morocco but I would recommend using one of the international chains. If you want a car with driver, book through your hotel again.

4. Re: Fez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:18