We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

Experienced family travellers, first time to Morocco. Looking for family-specific advice on experiences, restaurants, sights/activities (itinerary and hotels are set). Stops include Ouarzazate, Essaouira, Marrakech, Fes, Rabat. See my other post for a list of great reading material (one for kids, one for grown-up readers). Very interested in hearing from anyone who has a vegetarian child who can't deal with spicy food and who has successfully fed same in Morocco. ;)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

Hi,

give a check at this riad in Marrakech. It has a pool good for kids:

- www.hotel-du-tresor.com

or this, always with pool:

- www.riadchergui.com

Cheers

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

We were in Morocco last March for 8 days with our kids who were 11 and 14 at the time. Here is a link to my trip report with lots of details and links to pictures as well. www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp… We started out with 5 nights in Barcelona so you may want to skip over that part.

We did Marakkech, Ouazarzate, Merzouga and Fez. Our camel ride and night in the Sahara desert was definitely the highlight of our trip!!

I don't have a vegetarian but do have a child who doesn't care for spicy foods. The spice really wasn't a problem, as it is not hot spicy, just flavorful spicy. They do make these Moroccan salads that come with several different dishes all vegetarian, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

Familyof4: Thanks so much! Very reassuring on the spice. She's a good traveller/eater, but Moroccan can be way spicy, even for grown-ups (at least the American versions we've tried). I will enjoy seeing the trip report. Cheers!

Fes, Morocco
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

Moroccan food is actually not very spicy...as in hot! It is very flavorful but after living in Morocco now for 6 years, we have found that our kids love the food. The vegetarian child will actually find lots of choices. Once I had a friend come who was a vegan and they did ok!

Fes is amazing and if you want really good food, you should try the Riad Dar Dmana

Have a great trip. Your kids will love it. Are you doing the desert?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

Follow up: EVERYONE SHOULD GO TO MOROCCO WITH THE KIDS! It's a magical travel destination, but also perfect for fulfilling our main goal, which was for our daughter (a 9yo growing up in post-9/11 America) a chance to know Muslim people for herself, to learn a bit about their religion and culture, and to feel a connection with them that we hope will transcend the inaccuracies that can be so prevalent. Anyone who is interested in maps, info, reading lists (fic and non-fic), and tons of great photos, please feel free to take a look at our website:

web.me.com/laurieorman

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

We have a problem with this word "spicy" in English. Moroccan food is definitely spicy! That is what makes it so wonderful. The blend of various spices creates flavors that are extraordinary. It is not, however, "hot". I have had hot when I requested a particular dish, for example chicken brochettes, but it was because I requested it that way,

It's a little bit of a challenge for Moroccans to understand why anyone would be a vegetarian. Fortunately, the country is rich in fruits and vegetables and if you just order selections of Moroccan salads you should be ok. If you do take the camel ride into the Sahara in Merzouga, the tajine they prepare is with meat. They also have a salad before and fruit after, so you still should be ok, I think younger children find Morocco to be a fascinating place, kind of an "Indiana Jones" experience in their young eyes. It's a great place for a family vacation.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

More on the VEGETARIAN issue: vegetarians, do not fear . . . you will have more than you can manage to eat, and it is all fabulous! There are always many courses, and our experience was that everyone was perfectly respectful of the idea of a meat-free diet.

Ota, Japan
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

LaurieO !! am glade you made it.

9. Re: Family Trip to Morocco, Summer '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:19