We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day Trip Christmas/New Year's

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
10 Day Trip Christmas/New Year's

I am trying to put together a trip of about 10 days (maybe up to 12 if we're lucky) beginning just after Christmas. There are too many places on my list, so I'm asking for suggestions. Ideally, we would visit Marrakech, Fez, a night in the dunes, and the sea (perhaps Essaouira, but it could be somewhere else less touristy). I know many of the distances are long, but we can consider trains and/or planes where they might make it doable. (We are two adults and two teenage boys) Any suggestions?

M & A Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Rough Tours
Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Marrakech Guided Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day Trip Christmas/New Year's

The weather will be cool that time of year in Morocco. Certainly not as cold as New York, but cool just the same. Are you flying the JFK to Casablanca RAM/Delta flight? If so, you have Fes to the north and Marrakech, Essaouira, dunes to the south so it's a little complicated. You could rent a car, pick it up at the airport and drive to Fes (all interstate highway, about a 4 hour trip). Stay a couple of days in Fes and then drive down the back side of Morocco through Midelt, Errachidia to Merzouga and do the overnight ride into the Sahara on camels. A never to be forgotten moment. Then drive through the valley of a thousand kasbahs to Ouarzazate. A night or two there and stop at Ait ben Haddou (old city on the way that has been in a ton of movies) on your way to Essaouira. Overnight there and then back to Marrakech to finish up. You could do that easily in the 12 days you hope to have and you can adjust a day here or there depending of if you want to stay a little longer in one city over another. It's a great place to vacation and your teenage boys will love it too.

2. Re: 10 Day Trip Christmas/New Year's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:17