We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Hello everyone, :o)

I an interested in visiting Morocco next year and am in the process of planning my itinerary. The main cities I want to visit are Fes, Meknes and Volubilis. But I have a hard time figuring out answers to the following:

1. Are Fex, Meknes, and Volubilis very similar cities? If so, which city should I drop so I can add Rabat? (I will not be adding any desert or Atlas mountains trips)

2. I simply cannot decide on a good and reputable tour company that will take me (and my 9 year old son who will be travelling with me) on a tour that will include the above 3 cities. isango seems pretty good, and many others, but there are always some good some bad reviews.

3. I plan to stay at the Dar Roumana riad in Fes. How far are train/bus/taxi stations from there? Has anyone taken public transportation to go to several close by destinations from Fes?

Sorry for so many questions but no matter how much I read here on TA, I am stuck with itinerary planning!

Amy :o)

1. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2008, 15:44
Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Nooo...I only got one post and it got removed. Yikes.

Ota, Japan
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

in my openion visiting meknes is better that will gave a good face of this city fes is ( am going say a business city ) .

4. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2008, 16:56
5. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Removed on: 18 June 2008, 17:45
Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Hi Berberatlas,

I did read your last post before it got removed and I don't know why it got yanked either as I didn't see anything wrong with it. I have your email and will contact you.

Thank you very much.

Amy

Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Thank to those who have responded so far, but does anyone have any more in depth info on my 3 original questions? Especially on questions 1 and 3?

Thank you kindly.

amy :o)

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

In response to your questions, yes, Fes and Meknes are similiar cities, we like to call Meknes "Fes-light" because it is not nearly as interesting, but as a result, is usually less of a hassle to visit. You'll find you will want to concentrate more on Fes and leave Meknes for a day trip. Volubilis is the Roman ruins of what was once the capital of the Roman Mauretania Tingitana, or modern day northern Morocco.

I'd only add on Rabat if you have the time, it's an interesting city but not worth spending a day there if your time is limited. Consider that Rabat is about 3 hrs from Fes by train.

Tours are more expensive and for this itinerary, unnecessary. You can visit Meknes/Volubilis on your own using public transport (combination of train and grand taxis) or hiring a car. The ruins of Volubilis have English speaking guides whom you can hire for a brief tour, although the ruins are very manageable and can be self guided with the help of a good guidebook such as Lonely Planet. All riads will happily arrange for guided half or full day tours of the medina.

Fes riads are within the medina, which is pedestrian, so you will have to first walk to a gate entrance to get a petit taxi to take you to either the train or bus stations, which are short rides (no more than 10 minutes). Public transportation is good, cheap, and largely efficient, with the train being the best bet. You can also hire grand taxis (mercedes benz which are used for city-to-city travel) to drive you to Meknes/Volubilis, wait for you, and bring you back at the end of the day.

Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

Thank you so much Chano!! :o)

10. Re: Need help with planning my trip with Fes as my base.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 20 June 2008, 13:45