We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

Aruba
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

After lurking on this forum for ages and digging through tons of travel company webpages, I've found the following itinerary that looks nice for a 15 day trip to Morocoo. We're planning on going March 2009 (yep, planning ahead here! ;-)), This is a land-only package that costs 945 Euro p.p.

-------

Day 1

Arrive Casablanca. Transfer to Rabat. Stay in hotel in the Nouveau Ville in Rabat.

Day 2

Rabat. Explore on your own.

Day 3

Rabat- Meknes by train. Arrive late in the morning. Stay in typical riad.

Day 4

Pick up by driver: excursion to Volubilis and transfer to Fez. Stay in hotel in Nouveau Ville in Fez.

Day 5

Fez. Explore on your own.

Day 6

Rental car is delivered. Drive from Fez via Erfoud to Rissani. Stay in ‘kasbah’ hotel in Rissani.

Day 7

From Rissani to Merzouga. Erg Chebbi desert by camel. Sleep in desert bivouac.

Day 8

Drive from Merzouga to Dades Valley and Todra Gorge. Stay in hotel in Dades Valley.

Day 9

Guided walk in Dades Valley. Then drive to Ouarzazate and to Ait Benhaddou.. Stay in ‘kasbah’ hotel in Ait Benhaddou.

Day 10

Drive Ait Benhaddou to Marrakech. Stay in Marrakech: choice of hotel near Jemma el Fna or riad in the medina. Return rental car.

Day 11

Marrakech. Explore on your own.

Day 12

Marrakech to Essaouira by bus. Stay in riad in the medina.

Day 13

Esaaouira. Explore on your own.

Day 14

Essaouira to Agadir by bus.

Day 15

Departure from Agadir.

------

I'd love to hear any opinions of you Morocco-experts on it.

Since we perfer the outdoors over cities I was wondering about the emphasis on cities. Are all the imperial cities 'need-to-see'? Or can some be dropped for a longer stay in, say, the desert around Merzouga? Or Ait Benhaddou? Those places look absolutely fascinating! Is one day enough in Ait Benhaddou? Oh, and since I'm from a 'beachy' place I not sure about Agadir. Drop it in favor of extra days at either Merzouga or Ait Benhaddou?

Sorry for the question-overload here! I'd appreciate any input!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

Looks good to me. I don't think you need more time in Merzouga or Ait Benhaddou as you will see when you get there. Other than the single attractions (the desert in Merzouga and the old kasbah used in the films at Ait Benhaddou, there really isn't anything to see).

There are not a lot of "typical" riads in Meknes. I did a review on the Riad d'Or which I particularly liked. It's in the medina and well positioned.

Agadir isn't worth going to, in my mind, for the amount of time you have given it. Just stay a little longer in Essaouira. It has a nice, although windy, beach. The weather in March will likely be unsettled anyway. Are you going to Agadir because you are actually departing on a flight from Agadir? Most of those flights are early morning if you are connecting in Casablanca. If your flight is early morning, by the time you get to Agadir on day 14 and then depart early morning of day 15 you really won't have much beach time in Agadir anyway (hotel check in and all that considered). The weather cools off along the coast in the evening.

Other than those few comments, the itinerary is well prepared.

Aruba
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

Thanks a lot for the comments, marocotraveler! The tour is a 'standard tour' prepared by a travel agency but it can be customized to your taste. They suggested Agadir but I was indeed in doubt about that part. I think I'll request them to drop Agadir in favor of more time around Marrakech. Maybe extend the car hire one day to give us more time between Ait Benhaddou and Marrakech?

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

That would be my recommendation. I think you will enjoy the trip a lot more that way.

Ota, Japan
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

perfect one .concedering Merzouga i would recommend to stay there for coupl days -2/3- one night in the desert is highly recommended also a tour around the source and towns also a visit to kamlia worthwhile. specialy it's music...

5. Re: Q from a long-time lurker: please ctitique this itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 01:17