We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel Trek - normal to tip?

Greater Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Camel Trek - normal to tip?

Is it normal to tip your guide after a camel trek? We're going on a three day trip (Marrakech to Merzouga/Erg Chebbi to Fes). Apparently we'll have a guide, and a driver.

Is it customary to tip at the end of the trip? If so, how much? Both the driver and guide, or just the guide? Would be interested to know what others have done.

Many thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
342 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel Trek - normal to tip?

Yes, it is normal to tip.

The amount to tip depends on how happy you were with the service, how long you had the guides for, and frankly, whether you are a strong tipper or not! For a 3-day desert trek I tipped my driver (who was also the 'guide', though I would dispute this since he didnt really doing any guide work), I tipped him only 5 euros because I was not happy at all with his services, but still wanted to give something because I come from a relative place of privilege. If I was happier with his service I would have tipped 10 euros, but I wasnt.

I also make a point of tipping the camelman (5 euros), since camelmen work for free or in exchange for the opportunity to sell fossils to tourists, though you can imagine that not all tourists buy fossils, and probably many tourists are under the impression that their tour price pays these camelmen to take them into the desert. Something to keep in mind.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel Trek - normal to tip?

Tipping is perfectly normal in Morocco for both driver and guide. I always tip if I feel the person really tried to make my experience a nice one. If I was just "another tourist" and the service was mediocre then I tip with a nice smile, a handshake, and a "merci beaucoup." But if you had a pleasurable experience, then I highly recommend you tip.

Bucharest
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel Trek - normal to tip?

Yes you may tip your guide whene it's over; but you may also tip with a smile as He said; also you may buy some stoons (fossiles) and that's it; normaly the camelman get payed by his boss (the owner) sometimes the owners led thier camels and for sure they get payed by the guide or the cameltrek organizer.

4. Re: Camel Trek - normal to tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 11:20