We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Morocco

new york
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Nightlife in Morocco

Any recommendations for local nightlife in Essouira, Marrakesh and Fez? I do not want to get the advice of an agency -- I am looking for authentic.

Any ideas? Going at Christmas with husbadn and three teeneagers.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in Morocco

Hi there.Firstly Essaouira - here nightlife is very low key - mainly centred around small restaurants in the medina. The best known spot though for eats, live music and a few drinks is Taros which has 3 storeys and a roof terrace which is also great in daytime.On the corner of the main square near the port - you cant miss it.

Marrakech - theres Le Comptoir - which has a restaurant, bar and belly dancers and you can try the chicha pipes there too. Kosy Bar in the jewish quarter is also really nice - a converted riad.

Of course you will want to see the square of Jemaa El Fna at night - to avoid the hassle you might want to take a seat at one of the cafes overlooking the square and if you go early evening you will see the transformation and the stalls being set up as the sun sets.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in Morocco

It would probably be very helpful if you could identify exactly what kind of "night life" you are looking for. Morocco is definitely NOT a destination where many kinds of "night life" can be found.

new york
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in Morocco

Nightlife for family -- authentic Moroccan dance? authentic, affordable Moroccan food. For example, I live in New York -- I can take you to the best food for under $20 a person, but a "tourist" spot would be $50.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in Morocco

I understand. Remember that Marrakech is a tourist city with little that is "authentic" in the sense that I think you mean. For that you need to get out of the tourist cities into the countryside and hope to meet someone who will take you to an "authentic" experience. Do not depend on tour guides and others to do so as they are all geared to the "tourist" scene. There are lots of places in Marrakech to see dances, and the dances you see are "authentic", but they are put on for tourists. Think of Disneyworld and you will understand what I am talking about.

Bucharest
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in Morocco

I have done an okay trip to Morocco; and i spent 3days in kamlia i just lovt it; playing music by black poeple {real gnawa} which conect thier tradition togather, you may also see this sort of dances\culture\....ect at the atlas mountains{imilchil - i habe been to imilchil in 1998- so i don't know if the summer eve still active or no- but it gets to be invisible as they prictise all this kinds of eve durring summer [ i mean if you want an antitourist trip].

best of luck.

6. Re: Nightlife in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 13:19