We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping suggestions

Tipping suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 11:29
Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping suggestions

Morocco does not have a local custom which is equivalent to the American/European habit of "tipping", therefore we're talking more about your comfort level than about this country's culture.

Some tourist hotels and restaurants will add on a "service charge", but nobody I talked to seems to know who ends up with the money - the government (tax?), the management, or the staff.

Waiters at tourist restaurants will short-change you the amount that they think you should "tip" them for their service, and are startled when you count your change.

Shops that deal with the Moroccan people don't post their prices because the locals have a good idea of what something should cost and negotiate with the shopkeeper - on the spot - accordingly. However, if a price is posted, then it's likely a "tourist friendly" establishment, which means the shopkeeper speaks a few words of French and/or English, and the price is somewhat higher than you'll find just around the corner because he's already built the "tip" into his listed price.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping suggestions

Morocco most definitely does have a culture of tipping. Generally you should add on around 10% in restaurants, there only a very few where service is included, and tips are always appreciated in my experience.

Guides or drivers who take you on a day trip will also expect a tip, although if you buy anything while you are with them they will get a commission - that includes meals - so I would take that into consideration when deciding what to tip.

If you stay in a riad, you should tip the staff, if you are happy with their service, and just whatever amount you feel comfortable with.

However, don't tip the taxi drivers on short journeys, as you will always be paying over the odds as a tourist.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping suggestions

10% is acceptable (One can take a bit off if the service was not acceptable).

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping suggestions

I live in Morocco and have for years. I tip the same there as I would anywhere else, I just end up tipping more frequently. It is very much a service based economy so when someone provides you a service, you should tip them. I also tip based on the quality of place I am at. A five star hotel gets a larger tip than the Ibis chain. Restaurants I always tip even though sometimes on the menu it will say that service is included. Rest assured, the waiter will never see that money unless you specifically leave something extra for him. I never tip at breakfast in hotels as the breakfast is almost always buffet and the waiter will have limited interaction with you. Maybe bringing you your coffee or juice. But in a normal restaurant, it's always 15% for me unless I am really not happy with the service and then I leave nothing. That rarely happens.

Guides are usually hired through your hotel and I pay the going rate. I don't tip extra since it is not a "service" that is provided, rather something you hired them to do. I don't quibble on the price so I figure they have already included a little extra.

Riads/hotels I always leave something for the cleaning lady daily. Usually 10 dirhams on the pillow and it usually gets me fresh flowers in the room. They are making very little money and a little tip is very much appreciated.

I never tip taxi drivers unless I round the fee up to the nearest paper bill amount.

I always tip the parking guards and I am generous with them, especially the ones who watch your car all night. They make little money.

I supposed the bottom line is that Morocco is generally a poor country for the average worker. Giving a little extra is appreciated if given directly to them.

Odense
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping suggestions

I agree in the point: give good tipping -- people in ordinary working jobs earn very little, and a tip of just 10 dh is considered great.

A guide, who has given me help and advise for a longer tour (some hours or the whole day) of some kind I always pay at least 50 dh extra.

I do not tip min the grand taxis driving form town to town -- the drivers useally know very well how to make tourists pay !!

But in the small taxis dirving in the cities I always round up -- I refuse to pay less than 10 dh.

And I also always pay a good tip for the cleaning lady in riads or hotels -- and do the same everywhere I get help from people (unless when I feel, that it would not be appropriate).

After a bus-drive I always tip the people helping with the baggage -- just look around, I think it is easy to see where people are working hard for very little money.

Be nice !!

Hanne, Denmark

6. Re: Tipping suggestions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 11:29
7. Re: Tipping suggestions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:17