We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi, I am travelling to Morocco in late April for a fortnight but wondering about money issues. As I won't be able to take Dirhams before I arrive what is the best option, take lots of cash or find a debit card that doesn't charge me for taking money out? Any advice on cards and commission charges would be brilliant thanks. Anita

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Go to the Nationwide website and get the number for a savings account which has a zero charge debit card account. There is no interest (I think) paid on this account but you will save quite a bit in charges.

You should still have enough time to arrange this as most of the "paper work" can be done over the 'phone.

You will off course have to transfer money from a bona fide account which is easy enough and can also be done online.

have a read on the left of the page in Before You Go, then click on Banks And Money for useful info.

I usually take Sterling for backup and then rely on ATM's of which there are so many.

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Change some cash into DH at the airport when you arrive; enough to pay expenses for a few days.

Get a feel for the cost of things and what you may plan on spending having looked around. Then use the ATM's for more DH as you need it.

ATM's are very common. We only used them at "proper" banks (no cigarette shops or gas stations, etc.) and had no problems with them.

Many riads prefer payment in cash (Euro or Dirham), instead of credit cards...Something to plan for at the end of your stay(s), depending on how many different accoms you stay in on your trip.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I rarely get a charge for using my debit card unless i use convenience machines in hotels and other locations like that. I use the Attijawari banks all the time and have never been charged a fee from them. I would not arrive with lots of cash, just enough to handle a case where you might not find a machine. All the medium to larger cities have them and certainly all the tourist cities.

4. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 18:18