We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contact lenses and the water in Morocco

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Contact lenses and the water in Morocco

I am going to Morocco in March and will be staying in hotels and riads in Casablanca, Fes and Marrakech. However, I will also be in areas outside of the major cities - in hotels/guest houses in Errachiadia, Merzouga, and Skoura. I wear gas-permeable (hard) contact lenses. Should I only use bottled water when rinsing them and the lens case? Usually, I wash out the lens case in hot water, as is suggested. Since people have warned about trying to keep water out of one's nose, eyes and mouth when showering, it would seem reasonable to use only bottled water when cleaning lenses. Or, perhaps, I should not wear my lenses until I move on to Italy! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
409 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Contact lenses and the water in Morocco

Its actually recommended by opticians that you don't use tap water on your lenses, even in the UK. I wear the same lenses as you and use saline solution to rinse them, even when I'm in the UK. Water in Morocco is fine for cleaning teeth etc though, just not for drinking,

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Contact lenses and the water in Morocco

We have lived in Morocco for five years now and my wife wears gas permeable (hard) lenses. She puts a drop or two of lens cleaner on each lens and then rubs them in the hot tap water to rinse them. Then she puts a drop of a lens conditioner solution on both sides of the contacts when she puts them in. She has had no problems in the five years we have been here.

Prior to living in Morocco we lived 10 years in Italy. She did the same thing there, although we couldn't use the water in the city where we lived for any purpose including cooking. We had to use bottled water for everything there.

We have always used the local water in Morocco for brushing teeth, but we don't drink it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Contact lenses and the water in Morocco

Thanks for the info! I only need hot water for rinsing the case so will try to be careful only when I'm out of the cities.

4. Re: Contact lenses and the water in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 02:18