We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

I'm leaving in March, but already thinking about what to pack.

Given that Morocco is Muslim - what should I bring for my 7 day trip to Marrekech and the Sahara desert?

No tank tops? No shorts? Just pants & cotton/long sleeve - but won't it be too hot???

Advice on what to wear and not to wear would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

Correct - no tank tops and no shorts. Pants or skirts that reach below the knee plus loose-fitting tops that cover the shoulders, but they can be short-sleeved. You do not need to wear a scarf or cover your head. You are best to bring clothes that can be worn in layers and will need something warm as it can still be cold in the desert especially considering the strange weather this year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

thanks for your prompt response - what about the cut of the neckline? Certainly, no revealing/plunging necklines..but is it okay to wear simple scoop neck shirts that show some collar bone?

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

It really depends on where in Morocco you will be. If you're in a big city you will find that the young women wear clothes very similar to young women in America. Skirts are usually no shorter than just below the knee. They wear skinny jeans too. Tight shirts, etc etc. I have to admit that girls that dress this way do get attention from men that may not be welcomed by a western woman. That may seem strange but the men here see these clothes as a calling card of sorts. I personally (as a person who lives here) would suggest that you stick with long pants when you're in the city and shirts that are a bit loose (not moo moo's lol) but not skin tight unless you do want some comments from nasty men (which I doubt you do).

If you are in a small town or village stick with loose pants and loose shirts.

The beaches are open to anything. I live in the Desert and foreigners wear anything. Most Moroccans are pretty modest on the outing /hotels;village..etc (rarely will you see a Moroccan woman or girl in western fashion) but know that foreigners are not as modest and don't really think twice about it.

After all if you gonna have a male with you; then wear whatever suit you...

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
771 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

We were there in late March 2 years ago, it was warm but not really that hot. My daughter and I mostly wore capris and skirts, but she did wear some longer walking shorts as well (just above the knee). It actually got fairly cool at night and we even hit some snow between Merzouga and Fez. Just think modest. A lot of the Moroccan women we saw wore western style clothes but usually long pants and long sleeve shirts and had their heads covered.

Mentioned in this post
Merzouga
Merzouga
Meknes-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

Loose trousers for travelling and long skirts (cooler than trousers) for the town are the best bet. On the top throw a halfsleeve-tunic and you are fine.

I did see some foreigners on Sahara trip with tanktops (sleeveless). Keep your breasts inside your blouse please. Unless you want to advertise them!

Cotton material is cool, no synthetics.

Yes, the local younger girls do wear very tight jeans with tight shirts, but this is to draw attention from males.

Dress always in layers.

Happy trip !

6. Re: for the ladies - what to wear/what not to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:17